IC 1848, Soul Nebula

5000 light years away in Cassiopeia.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
84-3 minute light frames and a lot of calibration frames processed in Astropixel, Pixinsight, Affinity photo and Capture one.
Imaged in my backyard in Portland Oregon Dec. 3.
asi294 OSC astro camera, Williams Gt 71 scope. Radian quad filter. Asiair/Ipad
I mixed channels in Pixinsight to come up with the Hubble Pallette colors.
Starnet + used to take stars out and bring them in…

1 Like

OK – very nice!! Good tonal gradations and much better stars with no sharpening artifacts.

Dan, this is incredible. Right here in Portland?!? Wow!

Thanks David,
yes, right here is crappy conditions even for downtown ( I live close to downtown), it was hazy on top of the usual light solution. I could barely make out stars.
My Go-to mount locates the targets and an incredible filter takes out all the light pollution like magic…

1 Like

It is gorgeous. What makes it blue? Certain gasses? Other nebula photos that I’ve seen are red and other colors. It amazes me.

Thanks Mark,
The blue is Oxygen gas… although I am shooting with a Color camera (RGB), the filter I use captures the spectrum of Hydrogen, Oxygen and Sulfur (Hubble Pallet colors) so I used the channel mixer in Pixinsight to bring out those colors.
The image out of camera was in the Red hue most are familiar with.

1 Like

I guess the filter goes on the telescope, right? Would be cool if such a filter was available for mounting directly on a DSLR lens.

Mark, the filter does go in the telescope drive train but you can attach a DSLR to a scope .
I have a similar filter that clips into a DSLR in front of the sensor and does the same thing for use with
DSLR lens.

1 Like