The Flaming Star

IC 405 nebula imaged the last 2 nights in my backyard, Portland , Oregon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any appreciated.

Technical Details

Just 4 hours imaging with asi533 color camera and Williams gt71 telescope.
PP in Astropixel, Pixinsight, Photoshop, Capture one, Affinity photo.

2 Likes

Lovely object and the small stars are very appealing with an amazing 3D effect!

Four hours of integration with light pollution is amazing! Are you using a LP filter or can you filter after the fact? I assume the camera has better red sensitivity than our “daytime” cameras? I have been looking at some reviews and found a recommendation for a UV/IR filter – but isn’t IR sensitivity desirable for many DSOs? Or is it a far-IR cutoff?

Beautiful color and shape. I like the way you framed it. Getting the faint dust surrounding the main nebula is great too.

I’m glad to see that a color camera, as opposed to a mono camera with the various SHO filters, is able to capture such a red target. This is inspiring.

Thanks Diane, I use the Radian triad filter ($1000) in drivetrain (telescope), worth every penny.
I can get Mono camera type results without the extra processing although I may get a Mono camera for some targets.
The filters make a huge difference, there are cheaper ones that are very nice as well, you can shoot in the city in Full moon.

Here is another version where I combined the 4 hours this week with some time last winter with a different camera for a better result I think.

1 Like

Amazing to be able to do processing like that as well – combining shots from a year ago with a different camera!

1 Like