Ice Breaker (+1 rework)

A bit of finesse -

I’ve been in a shooting slump lately, but while looking through my archives for last week’s theme, I ran across this image that I had partly processed, but never finished. That happens a lot. It’s river ice broken over a rock in my backyard. Not too exciting, but I’d just gotten my Lumix G9 (November 2018) and had to shoot what was available besides my cats. I liked it because it looks a little odd. The water level must have been higher and as it lowered, the ice sheet broke over this rock. The leaves are a bonus.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work? Is it too weird or unidentifiable? Meh?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld. I think.

Lr processed for wb correction, a crop, clarity, texture & exposure. Sharpening & NR.

@the.wire.smith

I initially found it quite hard to discern Kristen, but after enlarging it to full screen I can see what it is. Yes it’s a little odd, but It’s also a nice capture of a natural event/phenomena. I think that the leaves really add something

I think the leaves are the star of the show, with the ice and rock in the best supporting role. I cropped it to emphasize what I see in this one, so my take on it.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Andrew Wyeth paintings I saw recently. Both in subject matter, somberness, and colors used. I agree that the leaves add a lot. I would clone out the dark line caused by the crack I think. I like the overall space you provided around the subject but I also like Harvey’s crop.

1 Like

Not too weird at all. I could tell what it was from the thumbnail, even. I love it - wouldn’t change a thing.

Thanks @Ryan_H, @Harley_Goldman, @Igor_Doncov & @Bonnie_Lampley - sometimes it’s nice to go dumpster diving as it were. Glad it’s worthy.

I’ve reworked it a little, removing the dark crack and taking a TINY bit of off the bottom. Thoughts?

@Kris_Smith your crop looks good to me. That dark crack didn’t bother me because it naturally faded away towards the edge of the frame.

I really like @Harley_Goldman crop. I agree it’s all about the leaves! :smile: Nicely seen, @Kris_Smith !

I think this is fantastic – unusual and graphically interesting!! The different appearance of the piece of ice in the facing edge is very cool and the leaves are icing on the cake The rework is a subtle but nice improvement.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley, @Harley_Goldman & @Diane_Miller - the strangeness of nature is always interesting, but sometimes doesn’t photograph well. I got lucky this time.

What a lovely picture.
This is Fantastic. I love the overall mood, the composition and the subtle colors.
I do like the crop on the rework but I´m not sure about the black crack. I think i prefer with the black line in.

Thanks @joaoquintela for having a look. I’m of two minds about that crack myself.