Imagination's muse

While out exploring bits of the Prairie River for my project, I came across a part that was split around a small island and due to the varying speeds of water flow and depth, the ice formations are really intriguing. This is one of several images I made that day on this section. With ice I tend to do long exposures for any running water so it contrasts better with the crystalline quality of ice. Hopefully it warms up a little so I can get out again this winter without fear of frostbite.

Specific Feedback Requested

To leaf or not to leaf?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and a CPL

prairie ice closeup

Lr for a crop to 16:9 to eliminate some snow on the top of the ice and to emphasize the elongated shape. Pretty drastic white and black points here because the water was tannic with some reflection and I didn’t want that for this shot. Adjusted white balance cooler. A good bit of texture & clarity. Sharpening & NR, but not much.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Terrific image, Kris. I can take or leave the leaf as it’s not really the highlight of the scene anyway. I love the smooth but bubbly ice with the black background.

Very abstract. I like the forms, textures, and contrast.

Thanks Davids!

Little bits of nature’s drama make me really happy. It’s almost 20 below right now so today won’t be the day for finding more. maybe soon.

Love the black water and the contrast with the ice. I agree tannic water can be problematic! I’d not worry about the leaf but you could desaturate brown and it would probably get gone with out any other consequences. I hope you get out again soon and, of course, safely!

This image says a lot about “ice-ness” - its luminescence, solidity, reflectivity, opacity and plasticity. The light on black frames it beautifully. Were I to have a dream of ice, it might very well look like this.

Thanks @JohnSnell & @Kerry_Gordon - ice has so many aspects and qualities, but I hadn’t considered how this shows them until you expressed it like that, Kerry, so thanks. I’m flattered and touched.