Two-minute warning

Ice that forms on branches partly in streams and rivers are fascinating in their endless shapes. The endless repetitive dips in and out of the water is what does it. This one was in quick flowing water so I had to catch it with a relatively fast shutter speed since it was always bobbing and swaying. The contrast with the tannic water and the sandy bottom made for a decent background, although the right side was a bit much, I did my best.

Specific Feedback Requested

Impressions and ideas for improvement welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld - or … maybe a tripod, I can’t recall

plover ice

Lr for initial RAW processing to manage the wide dynamic range, but nothing too crazy. A bit of a crop. Topaz Denoise & Sharpen. Photoshop for some distraction removal.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

This is so unusual. The ice formations really show up well against the darker background. The black areas of the background form a nice frame. I really like this image.

Well seen. I really like the colors, textures, shapes and background. Very artistic.

Nicely done. I love those formations! My only Nit is the ice Top right distracts me but maybe that is just me

1 Like

Thanks @Chris_Baird, @David_Schoen & @KenHebert - my ice photo collection has a few like this, but they are all pretty different.

Yeah, you should have seen that corner before I cloned a lot of stuff out. Problem is I don’t have a lot more canvas to work from so I left it the way it is. As nature gave it to me, but with a little haircut.

Completely amazing! The ice sparkles like a diamond, and I love the unexpected (to me, anyway) colors! I’d bet you could successfully clone out the bright area in the UR corner if you were inclined.

I like this a lot. The colors are great and the ice formations are captivating. I like how the icicles are highlighted against the water yet the color of the water comes through the ice. Personally, I like the dark/light contrast in the water.

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @kelly_cole - this river is a great one for these kinds of formations because the level changes a lot due to its sprawling nature.

I will see about the corner some more.