Under the influence

The water shapes ice into knife-like wedges downstream of submerged rocks. Part of why I can’t stay away from the Prairie River.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything useful for processing or things to try in the field is good. Since it’s going to be 20 below again tonight with a high of something like 2 tomorrow, should have plenty of ice and I can see what’s happening now.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and probably a polarizer

b&w prairie

Lr for a 16:9 crop and B&W conversion. Was afraid of clipping the highs so I think I underexposed this too much, but they were still bright and needed taming. A lot of clarity and texture added and I deepened the blacks so the wedge of ice would really stand out. Linear gradients to manage tonalities in fg and bg.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

Kris, the shapes in the ice are great and the high contrast there shows them off well. The sense of flow in the water looks good also. The trees are not adding anything. The hightlight in the snow covered boulders in the center are blown.

I would agree with Mark’s assessment. Very good shapes and textures in the ice, though.

Hi Kris, this is a very neat capture, between the ice shapes and water flow its beautiful. A few blown highlights don’t really bother me much because they’re not integral to the story. The inclusion of the shoreline adds to the sense of place.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman & @Jim_Lockhart - maybe I should start processing from scratch w/a linear profile. Hm. Worth a shot anyway.

Not sure how I could eliminate the far bank. The tripod was already up very high. A drone maybe? Lol.