Ice flow

The unique icicles are formed as the snow melts off the slope as well as forming from below as water spray hits the bottom of the icicle. I messed around with shutter speeds to get the silky yet detailed water flow. Too fast and the water lost its character - too slow and the water became a blur. I liked how the water is dark in and out of the picture but the center shows movement. The water flow even takes your eye toward the little ice cave in the center of the photo. It leaves me with a soothing feeling, but maybe that is because I often feel that way snowshoeing along the river. Great way to start the day!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any advice is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riii, 70-300 lens
1/15 sec, f/16, ISO 100, 87mm
Very little processing on this - a little bit of dodging to highlight the water.

Oh the light is really wonderful here and I like how you’ve used it to direct us through the image as you describe. The snow has some nice texture and sparkle, too. You could bring down the highlights in the center just a little without losing any of the magic I think. Shutter speed is slow enough to provide some contrast between the frozen and liquid states, something I think a longer shutter speed does a better job with. Good sharpness throughout.

Ah snowshoeing I hope to get out soon.

This is a really stunning image, Kelly. Nice work on the comp and the processing. I too, like the dappled sunlight on the snow and ice.

Thanks @Kris_Smith for the advice especially with the highlights. I’ll have to play around with shutter speeds when I go back out there. I brought those down and it helped the photo a lot. Thanks @David_Bostock for the kind words.