Ice Breathing Dragon

A companion image to the one I posted a while back of a blooming orchid with the full moon behind it taken in a swamp at the La Selva Biological Station in Costa Rica. The lens had fogged up due to the high humidity and I believe that helped to create the shadows around the orchid (in this case the shadow is actually taking the shape of the “head” of the orchid like a silhouette which I found to be an interesting effect.

Specific Feedback Requested

I used Tungsten white balance when I took the image (as I wanted to have these blue tones) but I did add about 10 points of saturation to the blues here and I don’t know if that will work for everyone as it might seem a bit too blue.

Technical Details

2 Likes

This is quite stunning and eye-catching, Dvir! So much mystery in this image. At first I thought this was a dark silhouette of some kind of spindly insect!
I think it is wonderful. How creative to use the Moon as the source of backlight. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this kind of moon-backlight image before.
The shadowy curves make this very elegant and appealing, and the blue color is wonderful to my eye.
Congrats on your creativity!

2 Likes

I really appreciate your sentiments and thoughts @Mark_Muller! I feel that your reaction is exactly what I was hoping to get when I took the image. I totally agree that at first glance the image can be interpreted as the silhouette of some insect and it does take some time to realize what it is that you’re looking at.