Ice Gorgon

or some similar mythological monster… I found this ice formation along the edge of the creek behind our house. It was also one of the few places where I could find some Birefringence, even as we had lots of ice. A 5 shot stack. (R5, 100-500 @ 270, 1/10 s, f/13, tripod and polarizer)

2 Likes

Definitely an “ice gorgon,” Mark, as if I have ever seen one! The colors are phenomenal and the organic shape is, well, just fun. Nicely seen and a great shot!

Cool image, and definitely a creature of myth. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mark, this is really neat. I love the brown BG and the wonderful colors and shapes of the ice.

1 Like

That’s a really cool find Mark! Love the subtle colors in the ice and have enjoyed viewing all of your other intimate ice images.

Very cool and creative!

I love it Mark. Well seen and shot. I like the iridescence in the ice…it adds a subtle quality to the shot.

Very interesting and unique scene, I just think the background could be a bit darker since it doesn’t have anything interesting to offer and more importantly to make the ice really pop out.

Mark, you never seize to amaze me with your stunning ice photos and I’m always learning new terms. Wonderful and unique!:

He looks ancient! Another great find. Our ice is melted - for now - but I hope it returns briefly as this may create thin, smooth ice along the river edge, which seems to favour birefringence, as it did here.

Hi Mark, this looks really cool and I think that the colours looks great.