Ice Patterns

Just a frozen pool of water.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

A little small scene

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

2 Likes

Amazing what “just a frozen pool of water” can convey in an image. I like the geometry of the patterns and tonal contrast, along with the texture of the surface. Well seen.

Hi João! A well photographed pool of water. I know these ice patterns allow for a lot of different compositions and you’ve chosen nicely with this one. The vertical lines and the smooth edges are very nice.

You have a great eye, Joao. The textures and tones of this image are quite wonderful. Personally, I would have posted it in the abstract category - I say that only because that’s how I experience it. That being said, it doesn’t feel quite balanced to me. I would be tempted to crop it square. Here’s a quick take, see what you think:

JoĂŁo,

Fascinating and beautiful ice study.

As Kerry eludes, abstracts such as this provide for seemingly limitless options for alternate crops. I must say though, that I like what you have framed and presented.

The only suggestion I have would be to drop the brightness a bit - that little circle in the UR quadrant is a bit bright. I’m pretty sure not clipped, but It also feels generally on the brighter side and maybe could use some contrast. Hard to say without playing with it and of course all within the realm of personal choice, but I would consering dropping the brighter whites and possible dropping the darkest darks for some added contrast. Aesthetically, I see the surface patters, but also see some submerged detail beneath… maybe that’s where the added contrast can come from? I’m not sure though.

Lon

Thank you all for your comments and sugestions.

@DeanRoyer and @Cameron_Wilcox Since I don’t plan my photography, I do have to find something to photographs. A pool of water suits me fine.

@Kerry_Gordon Thank you for you crop proposal. I see what you mean and agree with you. (All my pictures will be - as long I feeling this way - Landscape Pictures; I don’t feel the need to organize or label my work; but maybe could be better for the viewer …?!?)

@Lon_Overacker I always appreciate your comments. I will check your suggestions on the contrast, but I let that bright spot on purpose - If feel right to me.