Ice Abstract

Earlier this month we had some below zero temps, and I made a trip to central Massachusetts to shoot some waterfalls. Unfortunately it was so cold that the waterfalls were almost completely frozen over, to the point there was no flowing water visible. However there were some interesting patterns on an ice shelf along a stream. The pattern in this scene had a strange, almost organic feeling to me.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
9 Likes

Awesome image Ed. The swirls are emphasized by the tonal range and the smooth to rough textures also add interest. Well done!

Ed, extremely nice find on the abstract front. Glad to see your planned outing for waterfall scenes did not get entirely lost without a super positive outcome in the end…:sunglasses:

Removed

Ed, I love these ice abstracts. Unfortunately down here I never see such scenes. It’s easy to see how it can be interpreted as organic. For some reason I’m wanting to pan over to the right. Seems the smaller patterns have more intrigue for me, and maybe there are more over there. Also I like the overlapping layers in that portion.

Beautiful, Ed! Great shapes and the blues are sweet. Looks like something that would hanging in the Museum of Modern Art.

Ed,

Fabulous, fantastic, awesome… all those words. Love this!. Not a critique, but am wondering what this would like as a vertical? rotating ccw. That central shape looks like some abstract challis, goblet or something. Very cool stuff, great find!

Lon

This is looking good Ed - great comp, and those patterns are sweet.

If it were my image, I might choose a slightly cooler white balance, and maybe add a vignette. Out of personal preference, I would also ‘clean’ the image a little, cloning out any small blemishes in the ice to polish a little. Nevertheless, it’s a really unique capture, well done!!

Exquisite! Trying to find another adjective someone hasn’t used.

Ed: A great find and good compositional vision on this one. The patterns and textures are wonderful to explore. Most excellent.>=))>

What a picture! I love this kind of abstracts, and this one is really splendid. I like the composition, the colors, the sense of flow and roundness… Beautiful image.
Ant.

What a superb ice abstract, Ed. Very well balanced - you did a fine job composing and I suspect the options were endless. Processing looks great - I really like the slight hint of blue.

I really enjoy abstracts like this, and this one is especially nice, Ed. There is lots to love here, and I’m torn between thinking it works as a single image and thinking it might work better as a two for one. I can imagine the left 2/3rds as an almost square or 8x10 crop with long flowing lines. Then I can also see a vertical crop of the remainder, which has a lot more dynamic, multilevel ice layers, like the one small circular patch that must have melted, floated off a tish, and then refroze on top of less frozen ice. It’s all really cool. If this were mine, I would be happy with it as presented, but I would also be tempted to go for a twofer!
ML

@Patricia_Brundage @Paul_Breitkreuz @Harley_Goldman @Bill_Leggett @Lon_Overacker
@Mark_Price @Reno_DiTullio @Bill_Fach @Antonello_Provenzale @Dave_Dillemuth
Thank you all for your very kind comments, I wasn’t sure how this one would play, it is a bit unusual.

@Mark_Price “I might choose a slightly cooler white balance, and maybe add a vignette. Out of personal preference, I would also ‘clean’ the image a little, cloning out any small blemishes in the ice to polish a little”. Thanks Mark. I already did a lot of “polishing” on this one, but it could probably stand a bit more. I did a slightly bluer version and have attached it here

@Bill_Leggett “For some reason I’m wanting to pan over to the right. Seems the smaller patterns have more intrigue for me, and maybe there are more over there, also liked the overlapping layers in that portion” Bill, I Iiked the right side better too, but there was a distracting stick frozen in the ice just to the right, and the ice shelf was thin enough that I couldn’t get out to it to remove it. The way the image had to be cut off to the right was one of the primary reasons that I wasn’t sure how this one would play.

@Lon_Overacker, " but am wondering what this would like as a vertical?" As usual your “eye” and advice is very valuable to me. I got anchored on the way I saw it in real life, but you have pointed me in a meaningful direction. Thanks, Lon.

1 Like

This appears to be one of those crazy images that “works” in almost any orientation that it is presented.

Ed, really liking the vertical version…has that Rod Serling old “Night Gallery” look to it…:sunglasses:

Very well composed. I have been in lots of discussions with painters and photographers about the orientation of abstracts. Usually lots of heat but little light. For me, only Ed’s original composition and the CW vertical work. The dark lower right quadrant of the original is the “heaviest” part of the image and is out of balance if it moves to the top of the photo.

Ed, I am a bit late and the others have used most of the superlatives I can come up with. I like the original but I also like Lon’s vertical suggestion very much! Beautiful work!

@Ed_McGuirk, I think you’re right in that this will work in any orientation. Thanks for taking the time, I do like the vertical. And in keeping with what I see is a challis, the 2nd horizontally flipped version - it looks like the glass has fallen over and it’s contents spilling all over… Fun!

Sweet image, Ed. I prefer the original post, but all the others work beautifully as well. This is just a treat to view as the lines and patterns let me meander around the scene savoring all of the lines and shapes. This is more unique than shooting a waterfall.