Ice Refraction

After a hard overnight freeze, I went looking for ice covered ponds to shoot. Some of the ponds where I expected ice were completely open, but there were low lying wet areas nicely frozen with grass and fallen leave covering the bottom. There were also some polarized light effects that appeared when my polarizer was rotated appropriately. Here’s a view of on of the low lying, wet areas. The orange parts are fallen sycamore leaves. The red/green/magenta bits are colors due to the polarized light effects. These come out of the camera with only moderate contrast, expanding the dark parts of the histogram adds considerable saturation. Although I’m okay with that in an abstract like this, I did dial back the red, orange, and yellow channels. (7D2, 100-400 @ 255, 0.5 s, f/18, iso 400, tripod and polarizer)

2 Likes

Mark, you had a good eye for this one, and managed the refractions as well as the colors of the leaves at the bottom. Looks like you got what you went after! I like the colors in the ice, which seem to provide many lines and shapes. The background of the sycamore leaves make those shapes and lines stand out. You managed all of it well, in my opinion. Very nice.

Beautiful Mark. For me, this has such an abstract feel to it with the wonderful shapes, strokes and colors. Very nicely seen, captured and executed.

Oooh, very cool! The contrast of jagged cool bits with the soft orange of the “background” is quite interesting.

Excellent abstract Mark. This belongs in a modern art museum. I loved those greens/blues/cyan streaks mixed in with all that warmth. There are many other comps in here so I gave it a go. I thought that the yellow and orange areas were a bit too dominant and that bright yellow pattern stood out too much. Although, I can see how you could build a comp around that yellow thing.Anyway, here’s another look at it:

Very cool. I have some weird images that feature polarised stacked ice plates too. Love this abstract look infused with rainbow colours in gold. I like both the square crop and your original.

This is pretty cool, Mark you are indeed the master of ice abstracts. What I love about your ice abstracts is how you incorporate all the these warm colors from the leaves, it takes the abstraction to a whole other level.

My only suggested tweak would be to increase the contrast or clarity in the lower left quadrant of the image, to make it more similar to the rest of the image. For some reason (light angle?), the LLC seems to have less contrast. But that is a nit, this is one fine image.

Really nice image. Interesting pattern formed by the ice pegs, and very fine colors. A frozen whiskey on the rocks?

You have an eye for these type of scenes and this one is no exception, Mark. This is just so fascinating to view as there are a wealth of details, colors and shapes in this miniature landscape to enjoy and savor. I hope you have some more to show us.