Leaves under Ice

It’s good fun (and takes up lots of time) to discover what the world around our new house has to offer. This is a look at the leaves in a small pool as they are abstracted by a thin layer of ice. (7D2, 100-400 @ 220, 1/6 s, f/13, iso 400, tripod, polarizer, and 2 s timer)

3 Likes

Boy, you sure are good at these! Another beautiful ice abstract. Great variety of shapes and color and the comp comes together really well.

The degree of abstraction is lovely and surprising. Wonderful shapes and colors.

I’m happy to come along for your exploration. Such clear ice! I hardly ever happen upon it when it’s this way so great to see it. I like the combination of colors and shapes and think you’ve included just about the right amount of everything. There may be a tighter crop in there, but I’d have to mess with it. A cold, but inviting image.

Another wonderful abstract Mark. As others have said, it is all about color and shape.

Trippy! I wouldn’t have know these were leaves under ice. What a fun project.

Wow, another one of your great ice shots. It’s so sharp all round that I imagine the tripod was resting on the ice, with camera pointing downwards?

Never in a million years would I have guessed these were leaves under ice. It looks more like minerals than vegetation. The colors and textures here combine to make a very interesting abstract. My only nitpick is that the dark blue band in the LRC has a lot of visual weight, and pulls my eye to much to that corner. I think the pattern at the rest of the bottom works fine, so I don’t think a crop of the bottom is the best way to deal with the LRC. I might consider brightening and de-saturating that dark blue band instead.