Ice, water and leaves #1

In one of the warmest Decembers on record, we did get 3 days with below freezing nights. I found a small waterway by a local creek with a nice mix of ice, water and leaves. A 5 shot stack for dof.

4 Likes

Oooh nice one! The reflection is really a dramatic element. Many, including myself, would have polarized it away, but here it brings up a lot of interesting texture. The leaves are mysterious in their tucked away state. Maybe a little bit of edge clean up where your logo is? Looks like a brightish bit of leaf or something. Super.

Amazing abstract. This is really super. The colored leaves just gives you a hint of what it is. I just love the graphic quality of this image. One of your best. I might eliminate the black hole in the leaf on the right. Don’t know if that would make a difference though.

Mark - what a lovely photo - we don’t get icy weather too often in Oregon but we have had a bout this past week. This inspires me to get out and shoot those icy puddles. I love how (as mentioned) there is a hint of the leaves. I just love the patterns that ice creates. And thanks for the stacking tip.

Great patterns and warm and cool tones. Excellent image!!

Fantastic abstract Mark I love the lines and textures.

Mark, I think you nailed the WB of the blues here, they are not overdone, but still convey a sense of cold and winter. Some ice abstracts have designs that are very geometric looking (with sharp lines and angles), but I love that these shapes have a more organic look with a lot of rounded curves.

Similar to @Kris_Smith , I like the sense of mystery created by what lies beneath with the leaves, with the warm/cool color contrast adding to that effect. Nicely done…

This is fantastic. As others have said, lovely curves and juxtaposition of warm and cool tones.

Agree with all the positives above - plus I really love the parallel ripply lines around many of the pieces of ice. They remind me of the chrome lines they used to put on cars.

I also agree; this is a really nice one Mark. I love the crystal shine of the ice with the hint of softer color below.

Nice! I think it’s just magical how you can clearly make out the shapes of the leaves under that ice. I also love the light and textures in the ice itself. Fantastic work!

Beautiful photograph!