Ice's Edge

I found this mix of ice and water on my pond after a partial freeze. I was especially attracted to the different shapes created as the ice crystals formed. The leaves laying on the bottom add some fine colors and shapes. (R5, 100-500 @ 400, 1/4 s, f/14, iso 800, tripod, an 18 shot stack)

2 Likes

Really nice intimate landscape, Mark. I like the layer of ice above the leaves below. Excellent.

This is very interesting, Mark.
The colors are great and the texture and patterns in the ice are very unique and intriguing.
The thing that I’m most intrigued about is how the patterns in the ice were formed.

I find the highlights in the leaves at the bottom of your pond to be a little overpowering, what I mean is they are brighter that the icescape and draws too much attention to that area IMHO.
It appears that the icescape is in the shade wile the leaves in the water are in direct sunlight (or near direct sunlight).
Was there any way to place a diffuser over that area before shooting the scene?

Of course it’s too late to go back to that scene but maybe the power of digital editing could come to the rescue.

Either way, it’s a neat image with lots of interest and plenty of evidence of an artful execution!

Well done! :slight_smile:

You always find such wonderful ice abstracts Mark. I am enjoying the various textures in the ice.

Nice find. I like how the ice takes on a leaf-like pattern. The combination of the ice over the warm colors of the submerged leaves is very interesting.