Ice edge

Here’s a look at ice and water from my pond. The colors are a mix of refraction from the water lilies below the ice and reflection from a pot of Pitcher plants. I was attracted to the differences between the ice and water surfaces. This is a 9 shot stack for dof, which meant some extra cleaning up on the moving water. (7D2, 100-400@400, 1/40 s, f/18, iso 400, tripod)

2 Likes

Mark, your pond has been part of a lot of very nice images, this one is not an exception! As you said, the ice with the distinct pattern meeting the smooth water surface adds to the interest. The color scheme is lovely. I also like the yellow stripes.

Beautiful, Mark. The many colors pop when I zoomed in. Love all of the angles and textures you’ve gotten. Great abstract, nicely seen and captured.

Mark, this is another great ice shot. Love the textures and lines, and the colors that you picked up through the ice as well as the reflections. Really well seen and captured. I can’t think of a thing you could do to improve it.

Cool! I love that stripe of yellow swooping across the frame. And the warm colors are so interesting when combined with ice. There’s a shadowed strip along the side of the LLC that could be cloned or cropped out, I think - it’s a bit eye-catching there.

Beautiful abstract. I would clone out the dark area LLC. Oh, I see Bonnie had the same thought. Otherwise, looks great to my eye.

This is another good example of the potential in melting ice: excellent reflections (like with still water) and no blur from movement. Keeping the reflecting surface in shadow emphasizes the colors being reflected (which are hopefully lit up by sun), while the still but warped ice surface creates fascinating shapes. Focus stacking definitely adds to the sharpness! Excellent. Keep exploring this approach as the opportunity arises.