Fantastic Ice #3

We’ve had what seemed like near perfect weather for creating thin, clear ice with two days of gentle, but steady rain followed by clearing and an overnight temperautre well below freezing. I went looking yesterday and had my prediction verified by finding lots of birefringent ice. In this case, the use of a polarizer results in very low contrast raw images, that Lightroom turns into crazy colors when I expand the contrast. In a slight change-of-plans, I limited the contrast (and crazy saturated colors) somewhat in Lightroom and then expanded the contrast using contrast layers in PS with their blending set to Luminosity. This minimizes the extra saturation that Adobe loves to add. This one has the least crazy/psychedelic colors… (cropped to 77% ff)

3 Likes

Fantastic colors and detail, Mark. We had freezing temps last week and I was hoping to get some refractions, but all I got was thick murky ice blobs.lucky you.

Wow, those colors are popping Mark. I think what I like most about this image is the three or even four separate segments. The LLC, the LRC (small patch), and the upper half of the image that goes horizontal but you can even add in the URC that cuts off the horizontal flow. What an incredible abstract. I have no idea what this is an actual picture of or reflection of but it’s amazing. What a terrific find Mark!
I’m not sure if that leaf??? adds to the image or distracts as an eye magnet in the URC. I can go either way.

1 Like

That is some kind of wild psychedelic colors, Mark. There are so many different directions this array of color takes the viewer; which only adds to the mood IMO. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be to clone out the leaf in the URC. Nicely done!

This is really cool, and I think the image looks fantastic. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ice image look like this.

Mark, this is very colorful ice. So much to enjoy. I commend you for going out into the cold to look for it. I’m not much of a cold weather person, and I have been known to fall and hurt myself on ice and snow, so I probably will never get a shot of ice like this. Excellent capture.

Nice ice! I like zooming in and around, so much to see. I liked a square crop on the left but there are so many possibilities.

Mark, I always appreciate your comments on how you achieved these amazing images. Bring on the most crazy/psychedelic colors, say I!

Another amazing ice abstract Mark. I just love it!