Ice Patterns

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

While searching for some smaller scenes in the ice, I came across this. Initially, part of the ice formation looked like a bird and caught my attention. Once I looked at it on my computer, the entire scene reminded me of a weather pattern from space or a drone shot of some icebergs from above.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I chose a panoramic crop since I felt it worked the best to convey a sense of mystery. The original 3:2 version revealed too much ice and kind of took away the attention of the ice pattern in the middle of the frame.

Technical Details

Nikon D850

Nikon 17-35 F4

Haida CP polarizer

35mm ,F11, 1/80 sec, ISO 320.

I believe this was hand held using Vibration Reduction on the lens.

Cropped in lightroom. Edited in Lightroom

Jason, yes this does resemble a weather pattern. Really nice! I see massive clouds moving in to cover a vast ocean. You could try various crops to focus in on that center section but this version you presented also works.

1 Like

Thanks!

I did try various crops and felt this one worked the best. I might revisit it after some time away and give it a second shot

1 Like