Abstracts of Ice

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was photographed on my trip the north shore of Minnesota along Lake Superior. Along the shore you will find slabs of basalt. In between the slabs you will also find pockets of water during any season besides winter, which can provide some nice compositions. During the winter these pools of water will freeze and refreeze depending on the temperatures. As I was walking to another section along the shore, I found this interesting shape in the ice. I don’t often photograph these top down abstracts and more often than not, when I do, they don’t turn out the way I envisioned them. But I do like the way this one turned out.

I did include two images since I did remove a distracting piece of ice near the bottom left side of the frame.

Technical Details

Shot on a Nikon D850

Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 @ 130mm

ISO 320

f/11

1/250 second hand held

Haida Red diamond CP filter

Cropped to a 4:5 ratio

Edited in Lightroom with very minimal edits.

1 Like

A very interesting ice abstract, Jason. The long air bubble makes an excellent focal point for the image.

1 Like

Jason, this is a wonderful ice abstract. I’m glad you included an image without the piece of ice near the edge. The main sweeping line has a great economy of line quality to it. Economy of line is using fewer lines to express what you need to say, rather than using many unnecessary lines that lack a sense of intent. The cluster of snow sprinkled around the frame add a secondary element to the image.

1 Like

This is good. This is real good. It’s both abstract and expressive. It’s not just an attractive design. It says something.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I often struggle to find and create these types of compositions, but I like the way this one turned out. Usually I have to be inspired by the landscape around me to find them and the north shore of Minnesota inspires me like few places have.

I never got around to commenting here but I think this is a wonderful and intriguing image! I’ll just echo the comments above and add a congratulations on the EP! Well deserved!

1 Like