ICM w/ iPhone

The image is of a small pond in a city park with a number of various pond plants growing on the opposite shoreline.

It was captured with an iPhone using the ‘Slow ShutterCam’ app. I took some (hopefully) artistic liberties with the color palette.

Specific Feedback Requested

Welcome whatever commentary members might care to share.

Technical Details

1 Like

I think this is so kewl! It’s all art and creative expression. Your take on the way you wanted to present it to us is working for me!

Julie

1 Like

Lots of energy and very impressionistic feel going on here, RJ. The soft colors you’ve gotten are pleasing to look at, but I am curious as to how much you changed the color palette? Nicely seen.

1 Like

Linda, I guess it depends on how one thinks about ‘significant’ change. The image was made in early July, so it was very much dominated by green/greenish yellow colors. The ‘pumpkin’ colored foregrond was actually a very yellow-green algae of some sort. So for me, this ‘Thanksgiving’ sorta color palette is a rather significant departure.

Thanks for the comment!

1 Like

Oooh, very cool! This has so much energy. The slow shutter app is very fun, isn’t it? The color palette looks quite naturalistic to me. I wouldn’t have guessed you fiddled with it. With a photo like this, though, would it matter?

You are so right , Bonnie, the is a wonderful ICM image regardless of the color. I was just curious😀

1 Like

I really like the effect of this. I got the slow shutter app too but haven’t played with it much. I don’t have any neutral density filters to prevent overexposure.

The colors look great to me, and like others have said, I like the energy of the multidirectional shapes.
ML

1 Like

Thanks for the kind comment!
The SlowShutter app kinda baffles me at times. I’ve been fortunate to capture some very interesting (to me at least) images. But I rarely seem able to predict what the results might be when I plan the movement. Maybe it shouldn’t but having the end result be more luck than pre-visualization annoys me a bit.

If you read my reply to Bonnie in this thread, it seems I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the SlowShutter app. There are times I absolutely love the results i get with it, but am often disappointed I can’t predict what result a pre-determined movement might generate.

I am a bit puzzled about your ND filter reference. I have no ND filters for the iPhone either, but haven’t really found the need for them. Maybe there are aspects of using the app I’ve yet to uncover.

RJ, very creative and abstract image! Great patterns and colors. I get the impression of trees in motion or perhaps ice crystals but the color is not cool enough for ice. Really well done and thanks for posting it here.

I guess I wasn’t moving fast enough with a 1/2 second or so. Everything was overexposed.

Thank you, sir!

Ahhh…, I suspect I know what occurred. There are 3 ‘Capture Modes’ in SlowShutter. I’m guessing you utilized the ‘Light Trails’ mode when this happened.(?) If so, check out the ‘Light Sensitivity’ setting for the Light Trails capture mode. If I’m outside in full daylight and adjust that setting to display the scene correctly on the phone screen, then I also get the blown out exposure you’re describing. I have to adjust that Light Sensitivity. I typically have to adjust the LS to something like 1/64 or 1/32 to get a proper exposure in the final image. Of course, when I make that adjustment, the onscreen preview gets very dark.

This is one of those Slow Shutter quirks I haven’t fully figured out. I can control the end result, but I haven’t determined how to get a decent onscreen preview before snapping the shutter.

Excellent I explanation! Thanks a mil!
ML

RJ,

Fascinating and wonderful abstract. It almost has me scratching my head as an ICM where we typically don’t see such sharp angles. But I must say this is very contemporary bordering on Impressionistic as well. I think the end result is excellent - and including the colors.

I’m not familiar with the app on the phone, but it sounds like it’s a “capture” mode that you set, then expose, capture the scene? It’s not an app where you take a picture and then apply the app afterwards? You know, like those silly facial filters? I expect the technique is the former and you’re still shooting and moving the phone, but the app is actually controlling the shutter speed, or whatever to produce the effect during exposure. Just curious, no biggie.

Thanks for sharing this ICM rendition. Excellent.

Lon

Correct. It offers 3 different ‘capture’ modes that all vary around the concept of extended shutter speeds. It offers no filters or editing capabilities.

Thanks for the kind comment. It’s much appreciated.