Icy Oak Leaf Cluster

The winter of 2020 did not produce much snow in Massachusetts where I live. But some periods of cold temperatures did lead to some productive ice photography. This wetland had a very thin layer of ice on top of of these sunken oak leaves. I was attracted to the soft, muted colors of the leaves, as well as the speckled look the thin layer of ice created. I kind of like the theme of decay contained in this image. Focus stacked with Helicon for enhanced DOF since I couldn’t safely get out on the ice to be directly above the leaves.

Trying out the TK Web Sharpener action for the first time, looking for any feedback on that too. It looks okay to me, but it’s my first time fooling with it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all critique or comment would be welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mk IV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, ISO 200, at 200mm 4 seconds at f16.
This image was focus stacked for enhanced depth of field.

3 Likes

Looks really good, Ed. I love the colors and shapes and the ice gives a real unique look. The sharpening looks good to my eye. I use TK’s sharpening for the web and quite like it.

This is a great shot for me Ed. I like how you’ve arranged the elements in the frame and the subtle reds compliment the greens well.

No nits from me.

Good job seeing this one Ed. I do like the soft palette of colors. The only minor nit for me is the large white border which is just a matter of personal taste.

The horizontal arrangement of the leaves is very harmonious with the overall image design and the subtle colors are very pleasing. The sprinkling of snow only elevates the image even more. The sharpening looks good, too. I am curious, what do you use prior to this for web sharpening? I usually export to 1500 pixels long from LR and then sharpen using Nik Output Sharpener since I do not own a TK panel (I use Lumenzia instead). The Nik Output Sharpener also compresses the image.

Oh, this is just gorgeous! It’s well composed with that red leaf for a focal point. The muted colors and strong textures contrast well with each other. I think if you’d jacked up the colors, it would have been too much with all that texture.

I’ve been using the TK sharpening for web for quite awhile, and haven’t gotten any adverse comments. What percentage of sharpening did you use? I usually go with 25%, but dial it back for photos with lots of really small details, like sand.

1 Like

Ed,
This is a real gem. The understated colors and decay on the leaves is quite beautiful and delicate. The fact that they are under the ice and partially suspended by the water or frozen in suspension creates the subtle separation and depth that is so unique. Great vision on your part and your focus stacking them works really well. The sharpening also looks good to me. Your recent rock and ice Intimate image was really wonderful and I could not help comparing the two. I prefer this one for its balance and cohesiveness.
My kind of image, well done!

1 Like

@Adhika_Lie @Bonnie_Lampley @Nathan_Klein @Alan_Kreyger @Alan_Kreyger @Steve_Zimic

Thank you all for your comments and input, I do appreciate it. These leaves were under less than 1/4 inch of ice, almost at the surface (you can see a few edges sticking out above the ice).

I’m relieved that the sharpening looks okay. Initially the TK Web Sharpening action produced too sharp a result (especially with the texture of the air bubbles suspended in the ice that create the speckles). Bonny, to answer your question, I did dial TK Sharpening down to like 20% to 25%, but don’t remember exactly. Adhika, my previous approach to sharpening was to export Jpegs from Lightroom, and use LR’s " sharpening for screen" at standard from the export dialog box. I recently decided to try adding white image borders following @Igor_Doncov’s advice. Because I did this via adding canvas in Photoshop, I felt it was now easiest just to do it all from PS, to add canvas and then sharpen the Jpeg using the TK action.

I am very pleased with the details that TK web sharpening maintains. I have to do some more experimentation playing with opacity, but TK seems like it does a very good job. In my limited use so far it seems to do a better job than the Lightroom export sharpening. and TK can be masked out of skies, etc. too, so it has more flexibility.

Late to the party but I just want to say how evocative this image is. The texture is gorgeous and the colour palette delicate. This is a picture of the forest floor in the same way as Edward Weston’s was of a green pepper - seen mindfully without assuming we’ve been there, done that. Marvellous - an image I could look at over and over.

1 Like

Ed,
Sweet shot! I am rather enjoying this understated intimate landscape with it’s array of muted colors and textures. I also like the somber mood here as it seems to capture the edges of autumn and winter perfectly. I think sometimes we as photographers; myself included; are always looking for the perfect leaf and we don’t notice scenes like this which is a shame. I could also see this working with the darker litter cloned out along the top edge; not necessarily better just another alternative. Great eye to spot this beauty.

Wow, just superb image, Ed. Love the subtle colors and graphic look created by the frost. I can’t see any way to improve, perfection!

Ed,

Oh my. This is just outstanding. I love this image. There is so much about this to love too - yet hard to express all those things. Love the variety of color (soft colors, not saturated) and the details in throughout are somewhat unique - texture in the leaves that one normally doesn’t see or associate with a scene like this. Which… leads directly to your TK sharpening question. First, the sharpening looks just fine on the web here - looks great. I’ve been using TK’s sharpening since probably he introduced his first action, and then panels… He does a great job, but I’ve always found and as a general practice, I typically back off that sharpening - and with the layers he creates with the actions, it’s real easy just to dial back with adjusting the opacity of the layer.

Back to your image. I wish it were mine. No nits or suggestions. Just thoroughly enjoying this.

Lon

@Kerry_Gordon @Ed_Lowe @Dave_Dillemuth @Lon_Overacker thanks for the comments gentlemen.

Ed, I hadn’t even noticed the dark patch along the top edge until you mentioned it, and now I can’t un-see it. I will likely re-crop this to exclude the dark area, thanks for spotting this.

Ed. this is a outstanding mix of leaf shapes and colors covered by the frost, both chilly and inviting.

Very nice image, Ed. I love the texture you achieved. The muted colors are gorgeous. I’m drawn to the idea that you used color contrast to achieve focus, and that is a different technique for me. My eye is drawn immediately to the red leaf amid the surrounding greens and golds. The dusting of ice crystals is a nice element that ties it all together. Well done.

What an interesting image. To me it plays mind games as it goes from sharpness to ambiguity and back again. As others have stated this is a really fine image. It’s amazing that this is below a film of ice because I don’t see a hint of it. There is also the feel of a mosaic in this composition because all those small parts combine to create a whole.

Another almost identical view:

That’s truly a beautiful image. I love the composition, tones, feel… just everything about it. Really nicely done!