Idol Time + Repost

Rework - slightly more sky contrast / structure with NIK.

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An area in southwestern Utah near Capitol Reef NP. Photographed at sunrise after an overnight rainfall.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm lens - Velvia 50 QL.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Paul, The way the formations on the right angle up towards the large tower on the left feels like an ancient religious site. The bright green/yellow in the ground makes a good color contrast. Have you tried for a bit more contrast in the right 2/3rds of the sky…I’m debating with myself if that would add to the view or detract from the focus on the rock formations…

Paul: I’ve been wanting to get to Utah and Capitol Reef and Arches for a long time and this boosts the urge. Very cool scene superbly composed and captured. Most excellent. >=))>

@linda_mellor @Mark_Seaver @Bill_Fach
Thank you each for the review and comments.
Mark, I will take a look at that area of the sky and see if I can tweak more out of that area.
Bill, lots of dramatic geological formations throughout the SW Utah open desert locations. The area was a bi-annual trek for me over the years but as age and family issues have taken over I’ve had to drop it off my list as of late.

1 Like

Is it maybe my monitor, or did a little noise or artifacting get introduced when you tried to increase the sky contrast? I noticed it on the expanded view. For some reason, the image made me think of a leader ahead of a group of followers, plus his “dog” sitting behind them. Just my crazy imagination!

Denise, thank you for taking time to review and comment on this scene… :+1:
I’m not seeing the possible noise item on the adjusted image at this size or on the NPN site here. At least not on my monitor. I appreciate you mentioning the issue and I will surely review the larger image for possible sky noise there… :sunglasses: