High aspirations

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am not a big desert photographer but in Israel there is a lot of it. This is from a trip I took to southern Israel to a beautiful rock park in the middle of the desert. I loved the ability to catch the this view from the bottom looking up at the arch with the shape of the rock leading up to it. My friend with the red shirt made it even better.

Specific Feedback

I am not sure about the proportions of the different sections in the frame. I wasn’t sure if the arch is a bit small in the picture though the idea was to focus on the way up having the sky as a far away aspiration. But I am not sure if came through.

Technical Details

Sony 7c 17-28 mm, F11, 1/100 sec, iso 100. Minimal post processing

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Tamar, I’d say that you attempt to make this seem aspiring worked very well. That long crack in the stone coming in from the lower left pulls my eye up through the interesting formations to the red shirted figure just below the arch. The small bit of sky adds to making the stone seem massive. For many decades the professional photographers working for National Geographic magazine, made a habit of carrying something red with them to give to the locals to add eye pull to their photos, so your friend is following a well respected tradition. If you want to give more emphasis to the figure and the sky, some modest mid-tone dodging up there could work.

Wonderful perspective here. That angled crack leading up to your friend and the sky really draws the eye nicely. Lovely muted colours and peek at the sky.
You might consider framing just a little differently, to move the sky to the right and off-center.
Sweet!