Mesa Arch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another oldie, from 2008. I shot several compositions, from catching the first rays of sun peeking over the hill, but I like this composition from a little later.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 5.16.30 PM

An HDR, reprocessed in the new LR. The older camera was sorely lacking in tonal range and the lens in sharpness. I could do much better today – should go back! But maybe you need to buy a ticket.

1 Like

I really like this. I commend you for entering the combat photography sweepstakes. LOL . I guess maybe it wasn’t so bad in 2008. No way I would go anywhere near Mesa Arch today. Just one question.What is the horizontal line running across the image?

Thanks. @Michael_Lowe! As I remember it wasn’t bad this day, but was worse on another trip several years later. Sounds like I need to do some deleting on my ToDoAgain bucket list…

That line is a distant mesa, and there are some bothersome details along its edge where the tops of some nearer structures are at the same level. Maybe I could tease out more tonal detail there. (Or lower some.)

The light on the bottom of the arch is bounce light from the illuminated rock face out of sight just below the near rocks. It really is this spectacular. I could add a couple of other compositions tomorrow.

Diane, an excellent look at this iconic locale. Timing on the reflective light is spot on and provides the perfect FG detail as a result… :sunglasses:
Can you imagine when I went to this site there were only two other tourists from Germany there and they were not photographers either. How drastically things have changed over the many years in the rear view mirror… :worried:

I quite like this, Diane. Your take is a little different than most of the images you see from this location. The cooler tones compliment the warm ones under the arch perfectly. I watched a video on a shoot from here and it was literally combat photography. I wouldn’t have the patience to deal with all those photographers jostling one another for the perfect spot. Any, beautifully done!

Thanks, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Ed_Lowe! There was a considerable dust storm which helped bring out the structures in the BG but the light was pretty flat. I should see about a little more contrast in the BG.

1 Like

Hi Diane, this image is a testament to your keen eye for the interplay of light and landscape—truly a visual treat. The warmth of the sun as it kisses the rock formations, creating a spectrum of tonal values, is captured beautifully. This scene offers a sense of serenity and vastness that is simply breathtaking. The framing through the natural arch is a smart compositional choice, lending a strong sense of depth and leading the viewer’s gaze into the heart of the landscape.

Mesa Arch is a landmark for photographers for sure. I really like how you captured the light from the left with the sun rays. The reflected light on the underside of the arch is perfect. Canyonlands is an awesome place.

Thanks, @Saundie and @Todd_Grivetti! It was wonderful to be there and have the chance to work the compositions.