I'm upgrading my equipment, suggestions?

Hello everyone

I have been shooting for the past few years with a Canon T5i, but I am looking for an affordable upgrade into the full-frame world. I would like to see if you all good guide me in making a solid decision.

I’m currently looking at both the Canon EOS R & RP as well as Sony ARII
I currently own a Canon EF 16-35 4.0 and would like to compliment it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 Like

Hi Santos, If you have not already done so, check out B&H Photo’s comparison feature. (I am sure Adoram or others also have this feature.) You can pick all three of those cameras and compare all the specs side by side which you might find helpful.

Also, note that it is a bit of the wild, wild west right now in the mirrorless camera world and what looks good today might not be later this year. Then again, you could always be chasing the next best thing instead of spending your creative energy making the best images you can with the gear you have.

1 Like

Thank you Keith. At the moment I’m shooting and making some money with a Canon T5i and when people ask for large prints I worry it might show. This is the only reason I seek some sort of upgrade, I figured an older used model would be fine for now as I develop my skills. I was not aware of B&H Photo’s comparison feature. I’ll be checking it out. THANKS🙏

You would be surprised at how large you can print a properly exposed image at base ISO from a digital camera. But good for you looking to expand your skills and knowledge. If you were to stay in the Canon EF ecosystem, I would recommend a used 5D Mark IV. That camera would go a long way before you outgrew it. I’m not in the mirrorless world yet so I can’t chime in on switching to that system.

1 Like

I try to always shoot at ISO 100, and my biggest prints have been 40" wide. I do plan to stay in the Canon ecosystem so thanks for the advice. The Mark IV is one I still have on my list. Would you still go with the 5D Mark III or 5DS? Thanks again for your guidance and advice Keith. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I’ll preface my comment below by saying I have not used the Canon mirrorless system…

…but the Canon shooters I have spoken to who have used the R series are not impressed at all. If you’re considering a move to mirrorless, I would wait until they improve upon it, or consider a brand switch.

I do, however, think that a used 5DIV, as Keith suggested, would be a great way to go. And if budget is still a concern with that, a 5DIII would be still be a fine option.

Max

1 Like

Thank you Max, I’ve been hearing that the R series is not ready as well. I’ll look a little further into the Mark III and IV. I really appreciate the advice.

1 Like

My apologies for not seeing your reply sooner.

The 5DIV is an incredible camera and the 5DS I think goes toward a more niche user/market like commercial, studio or landscape photographer that needs the extra pixels. The 5DIV has built in WiFi which I actually use for remote triggering my camera and sometimes, transferring images to my iPhone on location. The other feature of the 5D IV is the touch screen which I use all the time. My opinion, just mine, that if you were to stay in the Canon DSLR ecosystem, the 5D IV would be a good fit. It is easy to get caught up in “the next big thing” when it comes to gear but at the end of the day I feel most photographers barely scratch the surface of capability in their gear. So more TIME shooting what you have in hand will yield more photographic progression than upgrading gear. My 2 cents.

2 Likes

Hi Santos,

If really serious, I would high suggest and recommend renting each of these to test first. They are cheaper to rent and you can really run the guantlet of them without spending big bucks first. I have been going through LensPro to Go for the past several rentals and they are cheap. I am also looking to upgrade and am struggling with staying with a crop sensor (70D, 80D or 90D) or adding a Full Frame (6D MII) to my equipment list. The 5DMIV is a bit expensive for me right now.

Good Luck. Also, Through NPN you can get a discount on each rental transaction. Check out the Marketplace link above.

1 Like