Impending Doom

As part of the weekly challenge, I wanted to subit this image for general critique. I didn’t like the image when I first saw it, but it has really grown on me.

I would be interested in how the NPN massive think it could be improved on. My thought’s is that it is quite dark, but then I don’t think it would work otherwise.

For what it’s worth I found this an incredibly difficult place to get a compoistion as you it is difficult to get enough elevation to look down on the peaks in the shot. Had to rely on shapes again…

Single shot, 3 stop grad filter. Balanced on a rock as some fool left his tripod in the car and only realised when he got to the top. I shot this at f/16 to make sure the foreground was sharp enough without focus stacking (tricky without a tripod imo) and to get enough of a shutter speed to get some movement in the approaching storm.

Sony A7ii | Canon 16-35mm f4L
16s | f/16 | 4s | ISO100

@eugene_theron_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice shot. We are all fools at one time or another LOL. In keeping with the dark mood, I would burn the FG rocks a little. But I would also dodge the top of the middle peak a little. I know that’s a contradiction, but to me it looks like a split nd crossed the peak. Maybe I’m being a little too picky, I don’t know.
:vulcan_salute:

Michael, yeah, luckily i dont do that sort of thing too often.

Well, you are right. A split ND did cross the peak. It has been dodged up quite a bit but maybe could do with some more. I do see what you are getting at. It’s another of these shots that I have pored over for ages and have stopped seeing things haha

Eugene, the lush greens are very inviting and fit well with the shower. The foreground rocks are mimicked well by the angular peak. I agree with Michael, that a bit more dodging of that sharp peak and some burning-in of the rock should make for a more coherent mood. I see local showers like that the one to the right in Montana regularly and thoroughly enjoy them. I’d also try reducing the blue saturation in the left half of the sky.

I would also agree with @Michael_Lowe on both the burning and dodging. Quite the nice sky.

@Mark_Seaver @Harley_Goldman @Michael_Lowe Thanks guys for the feedback. I know this will sound like an excuse, but I actually posted an earlier edit of the image before I desatruated the blue on the lhs of the shot.

I have done some additional edits to the image to the ones you guys suggested. Bringing down the exposure in the foreground has ceratinly helped. I did some work on the approaching squall, to give it a bit more prominence.

Thanks again for the assist and hope you like the re-worked version.

I am going to go with the original image, Eugene. The re-work is too dark in my opinion.

I think that, if you take the original image and carefully burn the two large foreground rocks, it draw more attention the to the background and sky. You might also consider pulling back on the cyan in the left portion of the sky.

I like the composition, and the drama of this. It’s certainly worth refining.
-P

1 Like

Preston, thanks for the feedback. I didn’t reply sooner as I wanted to try a few edits and see what worked for me. I also wanted to get away from the shot and see if I came back to it, I’d see it differently.

While still not perfect, I think I’m on the road to something…