In the downtime

Image Description

Part of my attempt to photograph tamarack pines more since they’re so great - just look at all those little nubs! That’s where the needles grow. This one is out in a rather large bog so I don’t think I’ll be able to get a photo with those needles, but maybe others near the shoreline will be in range.

Bright, unfiltered sun makes for some dramatic shadows and so it brought up the texture of the snow and I lined up its shadow to help give extra information about the tiny tree.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This time I used some playful processing in Lightroom to give this a lighter presentation than it has either in a literal color version or in B&W. I didn’t want it to be a cold image or one that conveyed only harshness. Winter is a time of recuperation and downtime before the energetic and frenetic spring and summer months. Up this way, everything has to get a lot done in a short time.

Technical Details

Handheld while crossing a frozen bog

Lightroom for the square crop and work to tame highlights and improve contrast. Used a Modern01 profile in the Basic panel, then layered a Future07 preset on top of that. Both dialed back from full strength.

1 Like

Hi Kris,
that looks really great. I like everything about that image.
I have nothing to complain about. :grinning:

Love it Kris. The composition and your post processing are spot on! Nicely seen and captured.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Jens_Ober - glad it isn’t too uncomplicated to still appeal. I do love small trees buried in snow.

Kris, you’ve got a fine variety of textures here, with the new buds, the snow and the tree’s shadow. It’s an interesting mix of minimalist and stark.

Cool! Literally and figuratively. I love the shadow and the texture on the snow. They work so well to complement the interest of the knobby little branches. I think this may be my favorite of your sticks in the snow work!

thanks @Mark_Seaver & @Diane_Miller - shadowy minimalism is so fun in winter. And I do so love a bog, frozen or otherwise, so that was good, too. Come spring I hope to make more Tamarack images. The fresh green needles are really a wonder.