Stranger in a strange land

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from my foggy morning earlier in the month. One of the few tamarack pines in this bog largely made up of black spruce. Just too cute to pass up. I think the reddish bushes are something like leatherleaf or possibly bog cranberry, the funny white flowers are bog cotton. Tamarack trees, sometimes called American Larch, are the only coniferous trees to lose all their needles in winter. They grow new ones each spring and they are bright green and soft as bunny fur. I love them and they’re my favorite tree.

Specific Feedback

Composition & processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for this crop and some wb adjustment. No exposure change, but the usual contrast curve with the other sliders, color managed with Calibration & a bit of vibrance. Masks to even out the sky a bit and add texture to the immediate foreground. Ps for some border patrol and a bit of Orton effect in the highlights.

2 Likes

Lovely!! The arrangement and subtle variety of the BG trees is stunning! I could see this as a panorama crop, coming up from the bottom about a third of the way and removing the tip of the Tamarack. I JUST HAD to play!!

1 Like

Kris: Well of course you would show off one of your foggy morning images. They’re all wonderful and I do like how you show that one little outlier. Well seen, composed and presented. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @Bill_Fach - glad the bog in the fog still has something to say. While I did like the little tree, I have some that align more with what Diane did up there. Maybe I shall post one next for this week’s theme. I haven’t done one in monochrome yet, but that might be on the table, too, now I see it. Thanks, D!

Very nice Kristen. Once again i get very strong midwestern vibes from this shot. I think this one really benefits from being blown all the way up because the Tamarack stands out best from the background at that size. Those subtle color differences along with that great misty background make for an excellent shot.

You certainly made the most of that foggy morning as you came away with several stellar images, Kris. I hope you do not mind, but I am going to muddy the waters a little and throw a third option out there for you. :grinning: I like the solo tamarack tree but for me it gets lost a little in the horizontal so I thought why not a vertical. Here is what I was thinking. Not necessarily better, just another option.

I like it @Ed_Lowe - as a matter of fact I might have one with that crop done in camera with a longer lens. Will check after coffee. Can barely type at the mo. :coffee: