Give me space

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from my trip out into some dense fog the other morning. I don’t know what kind of plant turned red here, but this photo felt so different from the others as a result of that bit of color. So I processed it differently, concentrating on a couple of lines in the grasses that make a subtle point to that dark couple of trees. For me this speaks more of the season than does the others because of that red.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on the processing and composition welcome. If it’s foggy again I can give it another go.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for everything including a wb adjustment and work in the Calibration and Point Color panels to improve tones and create some modeling and depth. Used masking to even out some of the fog by using negative dehaze, also add texture in immediate foreground where the plants are covered in frost. Transform panel to adjust geometry. A lick of sharpening & nr.

3 Likes

This is exquisite. Even better than your last one. :+1:

Very nice. Fog, foreground layers, everything.

This is pure magic Kris! As much as I enjoyed your prior post this one is on another level IMO. The peaceful mood with the fog is sublime and I love the way the trees just fade away in the BG. This one puts me right there as though I could almost feel the lush dampness. Absolutely no suggestions from me.

All said above – gorgeous!! I love the shapes and arrangement of the tree skeletons here. No suggestions – well, maybe one. Print and hang!

Love how the receding trees pull my eyes back in to the scene. Also the layers of soft fall colors perfectly represent fall. As the others have said, beautifully done Kris.

Thanks @Michael_Lowe, @Ronald_Murphy, @Ed_Lowe, @Diane_Miller & @linda_mellor - glad you aren’t tired of fog yet. It is more autumnal than the others, but has a similar vibe. I might just print this…it’s a candidate anyway.

An infinite image favored by the contrast of a detaild and sharp foreground. I really love the neutral and vanishing colors of the grass. Another beautiful image Kristen.

Thanks @Giuseppe_Guadagno - it was a special morning for this kind of photography, something I take advantage of whenever I can.

Kris: The conditions and your rendering of them have turned a pretty mundane scene into a marvelous image full of mystery and wonder. I can almost hear the silence. Most excellent. >=))>

I like this one very much. I agree with you that the red is the key to it. Fine work.

A wonderful mood and subtle colors in this image Kristen – looks chilly out there. I had to zip up the collar of my fleece just looking at it.

Thanks @Bill_Fach, @Don_Peters & @james7 - if only it was silent! I was on a numbered state road with a paper mill nearby, so more traffic than usual, but it was worth it. I love this little section of bog and slow down whenever I pass through it. It was chilly, but not terrible. Low 30s. Heated steering wheel worked great when I needed to get to a new spot.

Oh my gosh, this is sooo gorgeous! It’s so serene, yet your description of the surroundings sounds anything but. You definitely need to print it!

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley - it wasn’t constant traffic, but enough that I had to keep an ear out for logging trucks. Something I’m used to up this way. No fog in the forecast, but I keep hoping.

Kristen, this is so lovely. The red grasses are neat but what makes the image, in my opinion, is the way you processed the dark diagonals to lead the eye towards the two trees.

Thanks @rodney - I hoped that the subtle point to the trees would work in the final product. These kinds of scenes don’t really have a through-line and end up being about layers and emotion, so a compositional element that works is nice to have in the final execution.

1 Like