Ghosting

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Fog is a photographer’s best friend and I love hanging out with my friends, so this morning I headed to a nearby bog that I’ve always wanted to shoot when it’s foggy. Most of it is private land and actively hunted so I stay on the edges, but oh…it’s so great isn’t it? I may try again when it’s foggy and the stack of pallets nearby is set down as a walkway (if you’ve been here a few years you may remember a photo I took of the walkway at sunset). Folks create a walkway/road for hunting to make it easier to get in and out on foot or with ATVs. When the season is done, they pull it up and take the stack away. The next fall, the stack reappears!

Specific Feedback

There is a faint track leading into the trees that I thought would make an interesting through-line into the scene. How does it work? Fogginess looking ok? Tried not to make it too extreme in terms of haze or clarity. Anything I can do in post is good for now and in the field for next time.

Technical Details

Handheld on the side of the road while listening for logging trucks (big paper mill just a few miles away)

Lr for all processing including a wb shift, this crop, some work with the Point Color tool to create some contour in the grasses. A little texture & sharpening. Also used the Calibration tool for color enhancement. Some masking to adjust contrast where needed. Distraction removal. Lens correction & transform used minimally.

1 Like

Love the quiet mood it reflects, at least for me, Kris. Apparently my eyes are worse than I thought, because I can not for the life of me see any tracks??? My only other thought. . . .I wish I could reach out and straighten that one tree! Kind of driving me crazy. . . . in a good way. Nicely done.

Kris, this is a wonderful scene. I love foggy conditions like this, especially when there are a lot of dead or dying trees like you’ve captured here. I think the trees have a lot of character. For me, the combination of fog and trees creates a very mysterious look. I do see the faint two-track leading into the trees, which does nice job of drawing me into the scene.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @John_Kilgour - glad it resonated with you. It’s not the typical fall image, and I have some of those from this year, too, but something a little different. That leaning tree struck me, too, but I like it for that little note of discord it adds - a little bit of a contrarian aspect. I think they’re all basically black spruce, but there are tamaracks in there, too.

Oooh, lovely! Feels like a nice level of fogginess to me. The track into the scene does make for a point of interest; I especially like the little pops of those white flowers/seed heads(?) that follow the track. And the leaning tree makes for a perfect counterpoint.

VERY lovely!! The counterpoint of soft fog and the ragged trees is wonderful! The track leads me into the open space in the distance and adds a story element. The FG gives me a place to stand and enjoy the view. The leaning tree adds interest and is far away enough from the edge not to cause too much tension. Well done!

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley & @Diane_Miller - glad that the track works well for you and the leaning tree. I think the people who own the land are more careful about where they drive now so the old tracks are disappearing finally. Bogs are fragile and don’t take to crushing by feet or tires very well.

Oh and those are flowers, Bonnie - bog cotton - aka Eriophorum angustifolium. It’s a sedge.

“little note of discord it adds”…exactly Kris, it is a bit of a rebel/outliner!

1 Like

Well done, fog is always a challenge isn’t it. For myself, I often see a great shot with my eyes but fail miserably somewhere between intent and result. I like images I have to think about, guessing the feint track is the sinusoidal line in the middle, good leading line if so. Not sure if I could improve anything much but I might try some Color Contrast / and maybe D+B to guide the eye. But whatever, its your art when all said and done. You caught the mood for sure.

1 Like

Thanks so much @howard1 - I appreciate your thoughts about this photo and a bit flattered that your first participation here is about my shot. Fog is amazing and does present challenges, but it’s always worth it. I did a tiny bit of work to lead the eye down that little track, but the fog was rather uniform and thick so I didn’t want it to look obvious or overdone. Maybe I could tweak it slightly. Other folks’ input and reactions are so important since we are so often influenced by the experience of taking the photos and outside eyes can be a bit more unbiased. Thanks again!