Dawning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another shot during yesterday morning’s heavy fog, this time with the sun in the photo and a bit of backlighting in the foliage. I like how it picks out the little bit of frost that also formed overnight. This is literally on the side of the road where lots of little creeks run under it and down to the Wisconsin river. There are a few bogs and marshes scattered throughout as well. The joys of a river valley.

Specific Feedback

It was a bit of a mad rush to get shots since the fog would burn off soon and could do so at any moment, I might have done a bit better with this composition if I felt like I had the time, but what do you think? There are a few manmade objects around that made things a bit more complicated, but what can you do?

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for all processing including this 16:10-ish crop and some work with wb and contrast to preserve the heavy fog look, but also the crisp detail in the immediate foreground. Used a combination of masking to do that as well as global adjustments. Calibration panel for color adjustment and the Transform panel to shift some geometry. A touch of sharpening & nr.

1 Like

The atmosphere for an autumnal morning is perfect. I love the elegant neutral colors, the shining foreground, the composition with the isolation of the subject against the fog and the back lateral source of light. I can’t find any flaw for a suggestion.

Thanks @Giuseppe_Guadagno - glad you like the colors. Keeping photos of scenes like this subdued is so hard these days with all the saturated and eye-popping images we see around. It was a pretty special morning with these conditions.

Very nice, with interesting FG, midground, BG. I wonder about a tiny bit more exposure on the ground…

And a perfect capture/exposure of the sun behind the fog. I love it when you can get a glowing gradient like that.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - that sun was so hard to deal with given the fog and the darker foliage - it was fairly early and so that was darker than it looks in my shot since I pulled up the shadows quite a bit. The sun itself got a radial gradient to reduce it somewhat. How I love fog. Maybe I’ll post more since I was out for an hour or so.

Beautiful subdued scene. You got the perfect conditions. Great composition and the processing is excellent. The little bit of frost was the perfect addition to separate the FG grasses from the middle ground.

Works perfectly for me Kris. The atmospherics and subdued tones give off a peaceful vibe which I quite enjoy. The light frost on the grasses also add to the serene mood. Looks like a great way to start off the day.