In the hollow of your heart

Another from the amazing ice rime event we had in January. The light didn’t always cooperate, but this scene stopped me in my tracks. It’s a working farm and I was hesitant to just march into the field so I hung around the edges. The scene is so naturally de-saturated that it seems almost unreal. It was overcast and cold, with calm winds; perfect for preserving the ice rime formations. The barn and attendant machinery almost seem to blend with the trees. I would have liked deeper snow on the harvested field, but what can you do?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any ideas for improvement are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld.

Lr processed for a 16:9 crop and a good deal of tonal management to preserve the overall low-contrast situation, but not too much. Sharpening & texture added.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

I really like the monochromatic feel of this, Kris… No need to convert to B&W in my opinion. I love the barn and your positioning of it left of center. The ice rime is awesome.

I had never heard of Rime ice before, in the Pacific Northwest we refer to conditions like this as Hoar Frost. So I looked it up and found they are both ice types. The difference is in how they form and what they look like: Rime Ice or Hoar Frost?

I still can’t tell which I’ve shot many times at a ghost town in eastern Oregon. I guess I stick with Hoar Frost.

Anyway, your shot is great and I think would make a great print.

Kris, I love the subtle colours here and am pleased you didn’t convert to B and W. You’ve controlled the tones beautifully. A perfect print for a hot summer’s day!

Thanks guys. It was a really great few days here in the Great Lakes Region.

I think I used that website as part of my research into Ice rime v. hoar frost for a blog post I wrote this winter -

1 Like

A great image! I have nothing to add, it has already been said above.

A beautiful image! A “cold” feel instantly fell across me. And, living in the sub-tropics, a scene I don’t often see. There is just the right amount of colour for my tastes. The blues and browns together just sing. Composition is great. It seems you would have liked deeper snow on the field, but then you would have lost those very interesting stalks.

My only wee nit is the roofline of the building on the right. I’ve seen it and now I can’t unsee it.