Frozen in memory

Another from the Rime Ice event of January 2021. I hadn’t processed this one until today. It’s the same little island as in this post. I’ve shot it in fog many times, but this was also too good to pass up. I love how the sun is only hitting the trees and not the frozen river.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too static? There isn’t much else here and absolutely nothing to put in the foreground.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
handheld

Lightroom for a 16:9 crop and a sky selection to just edge the exposure there down. Reduced highlights and blacks, upped shadows and whites. Added texture and did a little warming in the midtones which is basically the far trees. Sharpening and a little contrast added in a curves adjustment.

@the.wire.smith

I like the starkness in this, Kris. I think the crop works quite well. It has a high-key feel to it as well. Nice!

“Too static?” Not for me. I think something in the foreground would distract from the beauty of the image.

Really good one. I like the bleak look accentuated by the high key look. Very nicely done.

Thanks @Jim_Gavin, @David_Bostock & @Harley_Goldman - glad it’s holding interest on its own. That part of the river is very shallow and when frozen, popular for ice fishing. Seriously, people park on the side of the road, walk in, set up and then sit in their trucks until the flag pops up. I don’t get it. But at least the whole thing wasn’t a huge mess of tracks and random holes.

Again…bleak? Really? I don’t find it so at all. Maybe it’s because I’m a native northerner and don’t see cold temps or scenes as being all that negative.

What a wonderful little island! The lighting and the frost makes it unique. The FG is a bit plain, and in a case like that I’ll often add a subtle gradient at the base.

This one isn’t bleak to me – it wasn’t the temperature on the stubble field so much as the stubble itself that I found bleak. It reminded me more of strewn garbage than a natural “ruin.” Maybe it was just the busyness. I don 't get that feeling at all here.