Frozen in Place

This image was taken on a cold December morning, just before I went to work. Having to shoot locally, due to COVID-19, can also have its merits. In this case I just had to look out of the window, grab my gear and drive to a nearby woodland. I got really lucky with the conditions though. The fog was extremely thick and everything was covered with beautiful hoarfrost. Just perfect!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Single exposure @ 38mm | f8 | ISO 400 | 1/25s
Basic processing in Lightroom and Photoshop

martinmaier_photography
2 Likes

Everything fell in place for you in this image. The fog eliminates any distracting environmental elements, the hoarfrost and the beautiful symmetry of the tree are wonderful. Great image!

1 Like

Thank you so much Patricia :smiley::+1: The conditions were truly perfect that morning.

The conditions have isolated this tree very well, Martin. I also like the low contrast (which is standard for foggy conditions).

1 Like

The composition and scale is spot on to me. The tones on the main trunk and the growing branches is perfect, soft but present. It’s so calm and subtle that i can almost “fell” the calm.
Beautifully done.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Martin. The fog did a great job of isolating the tree and the frost makes it almost blend in-a very neat phenomenon.

1 Like

Beautiful!! Elegant and haunting. I like this a lot.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all the lovely comments :hugs: I really enjoyed walking around in the cold with almost 0 visibility, looking for interesting subjects. The thick fog and hoarfrost gives the image a painterly almost surreal feel. It’s just a shame that such conditions are so very rare :sweat_smile:

Martin, I just had to chime in here to say how much I enjoy this image. I particularly like the shadow around the trunk of the tree and the way the ground creates the most subtle horizon line. It’s stunning. Agree with your sentiment that sometimes limitations (COVID) can be gateways for new creativity.

1 Like

What a beautiful capture. It defiantly speaks of cold and winter. The details on the tree and the softness are perfect. I am curious if you added any contrast or adjusted your blacks in post processing.? I feel like maybe just a very small tweak could make the tree stand out a little. But, it also could distract from the softness. Just a thought as I was looking at it. I am drawn to images like this since we don’t get ice or snow like that here in Virginia.

1 Like

Thank you so much Lori. I actually went the opposite route and increased the exposure in post to where the branches are beginning to blend into the background. Otherwise I didn’t mess with the constrast at all because I really liked the soft, almost ethereal look of the image :slight_smile: