Tree of LIght

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With morning lows forecast to be in the 30’s below zero, I knew I would have to go out and see what there was to see. I knew roughly where I wanted to explore, but I had not noticed this tree before. It stuck out like a sore thumb though with the fog in the background. By the time I found this spot, it was -35ºf. I stopped, got out and wandered around until just before my fingers fell off! Shooting into the sun with a zoom lens is always interesting. I shot this at various shutter speeds and found one where I was able to balance the shadows and hightlighs to levels I knew I could manage in Lightroom.

Specific Feedback

I couldn’t get lower or closer (I definitely honor fences!) so I was unable to really block the sun with a larger branch. This ended up making the Sun look less like a circle and more like a blob! Does this work ok? The very center is obviously completely blown out, but it seems to work ok…yes? I edited a few versions with more saturated colors and a bit darker, but this one most accurately represents what it really looked like.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.4-5.6
ISO 64, f/10, 1/3200, 140mm

2 Likes

This is a great capture @Paul_Holdorf . The sun maybe a little blown out, but that’s OK. I like how the sun trails leave the middle of the tree. The fog in the background gives the image a softer feel and likely some of the coloration is from ice crystals, especially being -35 degrees. (Way too cold from me) :).

1 Like

Paul, I really like your image, The shadow of the tree draws the viewer into the image. Next, we are looking at the amazing tree with the fog in the tree and beyond it. There is nothing you can do about the bright sun, except to enjoy the light. Well done.

1 Like

Great capture Paul, I like the photo a lot!

I think you managed very well this composition that can be difficult (least I often struggle with direct sun images but always try to take them).
I’m not bothered by the blown-out parts nor the blob share.

1 Like

Paul, this looks great as presented. You’ve captured the single tree and the cold, frosty air very well. As something to try, I’d suggest some mid-tone burning of the branches in the blue area of the sun to give them a bit more presence, may or may not be an improvement. I like the way the sun looks and the color shifts in it’s glow.

1 Like

Wow, what a great image! Sometimes fog is our friend, in covering up some distraction in the background of an object. Your capture of light on it, and the coloring scream of “cold”! We just had a cold snap, so I get “your fingers falling off” feeling. Beautiful image and colors. Well seen and shot!

1 Like

@Paul_Holdorf, what a beautiful image! The fog works great in this image. Sunstars have become almost a cliche, so the lack of one here is almost refreshing. I can feel how cold this was when you shot this frame. I’d be tempted to crop a little of the top of the frame, but that’s it for any suggestions for improvement.

1 Like