The Memory Maker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Gilded light floods into the valley from its perch above the Gallatin Range. Don’t let the warm tones fool you, the air temperature on this frigid morning was -35ºf. It was so cold that whatever humidity may have been in the air condensed into a diluted fog that obscured the details of the scene and magnified the brightness of the sun. This magnificent lone tree stood resolute as the fog ebbed and flowed. The bare branches seem to be reaching for the sun the way we might extend our hands toward a campfire on a cold night. It won’t be long now and those branches will sprout with leaves that will provide shelter for all manner of life. Birds will nest in the crooks of its limbs. Its shade might offer Deer respite from the heat of the day. Who knows, a wandering child might even climb up and find a thicker bough which makes a perfect spot to read a book as the cool Summer breeze makes a Winter day like this fade into a distant memory. No matter the season, this tree is a memory maker and I was happy to help solidify its place in history.

Specific Feedback

Always open to any feedback. Is the big tree too obscure as far as lack of texture goes? The sun was just out of frame on the right, should I have worked more to even out the lighting, or does it work the way it is?

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300 ED VR
ISO 64, f/10, 1/500, 100mm

I used Lightroom to reduce the highlights a bit and a mask on the top right to try to even out the brightness. I slid the clarity and dehaze sliders to the left a bit.

2 Likes

I love this image. There is just something about frigid Montana weather that makes for some wonderful photographs. I had to play with cropping it a bit - mostly out of curiosity, not from any real dislike of your composition. Just a couple ideas: 8x10 with the tree trunk moved to be bisected by the right-hand line of the Golden Ratio overlay, and a second idea with a little of the foreground field cropped out (also 8x10 ratio).

Your poetic, detailed lead-in injects living qualities to the image and its setting. Living in Minnesota, I understand cold; yet were it not for your description, the image could also pass as a dust storm in an all-together different setting. I 'm stuck looking at this over and over, superb light management and composition create a wonderful mood. I would not crop the image. To me, it has perfect balance as is. The image lives up to its description. Thanks for this outstanding post.

Although @Denise_Dethlefsen versions are appealing, I am with @Larry_Greenbaum on the original. Spectacular image in all respects.

Paul, I really like this image! It captures a still, cold winter morning so nicely! I especially like the hint of repetition with the trees in the left background. I think you handled the tonality and color beautifully. Maybe sharpen the main tree selectively a bit? I might be tempted to crop just a bit of the right side of the image, but not all the way to 8 x 10 format. I’m also glad it was you and not me braving the extremely frigid conditions when you captured this image! :smile: