In the Light

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

The light on this scene stopped me in my tracks. I imagine that this picnic table is enjoying its winter respite from summer crowds. Or is it lonely?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Winter light is so beautiful. The live oaks around here hold their leaves all year and the moss comes to life, so winter looks a bit green.

Technical Details

Hand held, with a polarizer. Didn’t need to do much editing - cloned out a few too-bright bits of sky, darkened the LLC.
Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 12.02.34 PM

Specific Feedback

I’m happy with the technicals/aesthetics on this. Any reactions welcome.

3 Likes

Wonderful light; wonderful composition.

my tastes run a little more to the graphic and colorful… so I went a tiny bit overboard :wink: but I put more detail in the shadows and bumped the colors to the edge of taste… let me know if you want to know how or if you just don’t like this version at all

Bonnie, I love this! It feels like this image is yearning to say something. This is one I would be tempted to write a short story about. I personally wouldn’t change anything. What a magical moment!

1 Like

Love the soft feel of the lighting and the forest, Bonnie. Definitely a place I would want to go to time and again.

Thank you, @linda_mellor, @Jim_Gavin, @bill_theis, and @Erik_Stensland.

While your version does give us more information in the shadows it loses all the mystery for me. Also, the more saturated colors detract from the solemnity and mood for me. Thanks for the offer to show how you did your edit, but I’m quite adept at processing to my tastes (which run to the more understated :wink:).

Indeed, and it could be many different stories depending on the viewer’s experience or mood.

1 Like

I can see why the light stopped you in your tracks. My first impression was that the scene is beautiful.

You didn’t invite nit-picking but I have one. Near the upper left-hand corner there’s a bright tree trunk poking through. My eye went to it very quickly.

Thanks, @Don_Peters. Nit-picks always welcome. Is it this? I fixed it (no repost) - good eye.

Yes.

(I was just reminded that a post must contain at least ten characters. Now this does.)

My initial reaction? Rembrandt visits a California State Park.

I personally like the limited color used here. I can see the blacks being raised a bit but that’s a personal choice. I prefer natural highlights such as this over artificially adding them in PS. Although I don’t believe that images need be realistic.

1 Like

Bonnie, I see great use of the light . Background just right . A mysterious beauty. Just TOP.

Bonnie for me this image fosters a sense of tranquility and introspection. The dappled sunlight through the trees and the solitary bench evoke a feeling of solitude and peace. The gentle contrasts of light and dark, the stillness of the scene, and the absence of human activity also give a sense of being momentarily detached from the hustle of everyday life, reinforcing a connection with the natural world. Lovely work.

1 Like

Moody and mysterious! I am loving this scene Bonnie. I can see why the light stopped you in your tracks as it is truly magical. My impression is that the picnic table is a little bit of both; enjoying the respite while missing the crowds. My only suggestion is the ULC already mentioned by @Don_Peters. This is a beauty.

I like the spiritual quality Bonnie. Nature is church for me, and the light makes the picnic table feel like an altar.

1 Like

Thank you, @Igor_Doncov, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Saundie, @Ed_Lowe, and @John_Williams for your thoughts.

Indeed - Rembrandt crossed my mind. I also think you’re right about the blacks. They could come up a bit and not lose the mystery. If I were to print this, I definitely would have to do that.

Lovely thought, John!

1 Like

I got behind again and just now found this gorgeous image!! It is indeed mysterious and you brought that element out nicely. It has a lovely natural Glamour Glow look. I love the visual depth of the tonalities in the trees. For me, the shaft of light on the ground is competing with that and I wonder about softening it just a little? It has power to spare! You have definitely captured some magic here!

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. The depth of the dark tonalities in the trees is something I really like about this one. I hadn’t considered that the shaft of light was competing too much. Will have a look at that.