Light in your soul

Since my last fall trail shot created a nice conversation, maybe this one will too. A barely-there path in the Porcupine Lake Wilderness in Northern Wisconsin. I was out with a naturalist group and we spent a lot of time navigating by compass since there are no maintained trails since it is a Wilderness. This is the remnant of a trail that was maintained when it was an actively managed forest. We actually stepped right over it at first while we were navigating to it. Luckily someone notice we’d gone a little too far and we backtracked.

The colors were divine. And so was the light and I did my level best to show that and the depth of the scene as well. It was in very early October so the color transition was only beginning in the foliage - my favorite time of year hands down.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts and suggestions for processing are welcome - my goals with this image are to convey the soft light, the changes in colors in the trees and of course, to invite you in with that trail.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld lagging behind my group as always. Luckily Ron, the leader, knew me from another field trip (the Felsenmeer if you recall those shots) and didn’t let me stray too far.

Lr for initial RAW edits, but those were minimal - raised shadows a bit, added texture, lowered clarity, cooled white balance a little since the colors were muddy. Sharpening & nr. Photoshop for extensive luminosity and color masking to layer the light, colors and create some depth.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

Ooh I love this, Kristen. Every single bit of this. The trees in the front really anchor the image and keep my eyes in the frame. The background is also very interesting. Feels like I am going deep into the forest. No nits at all.

Lovely image! I’m always impressed with forest photos that manage to be well composed in all the chaos, and you’ve done that here. My only subjective nit is to cool it a bit more.

Thanks @Adhika_Lie & @Tony_Siciliano - I’m glad it works even though it has no immediate foreground element other than the trail. I could have spent all day in this Wilderness and plan to visit again. There are brooks and an undeveloped lake and forest for thousands of acres. It’s really special and in the middle of nowhere, so it is deep in the forest.

I would say that you achieved your goal with this lovely woodland image, Kris. I am enjoying the lush greens as they transition toward their vibrant fall color as well as the exquisite light throughout. I have no suggestions for this very inviting scene.

Aww, thanks @Ed_Lowe - the combination of green and yellow in early fall is my favorite time to be out with the camera. It is so lush and yet puts us in mind of what’s to come.

How did I miss this earlier? I love the composition, soft early-autumn colors and tonalities!

No worries, D! It’s easy to let stuff slip though the cracks. I love that there’s a lot of submissions and participation, but I really hate when I don’t see something for weeks and then feel like a dolt for commenting so late. I really should start following the people who’s work here is important to me. It’s a nice feature.