In the Spotlight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This Neptis pryeri koreana was enjoying the evening sun. I was tired and disappointed because it was hot and dry, and there had not been many butterflies in the mountains that day. This was almost the last shot I took, but when I saw it later I felt I had one keeper. Better late than never.

Specific Feedback

The size of the leaf compels the subject to the center - does this detract from the shot in your eyes?

Technical Details

D 500 + 105mm macro, 1/200 f13 ISO 500

I toned down or cloned out some bright BG bits, and burnt the brighter parts of the large leaf. Denoise and tonality treatment in PS. Selective sharpening of butterfly.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
what a great Macro shot. I really like the details on the butterfly and how you composed the leaf in the frame. I’ve tried to shoot butterflies before, but I’ve always failed at it so far… they are too fast for me :wink:
So I’m glad you were able to catch one.

The size of the leaf is no problem in my opinion. But I think the brightness of the reflection on it distracts the eye. Without the blown out reflection the butterfly would stand out quite nicely.
Probably a polarizing filter would have helped here.

I tried different things, but I didn’t find an easy way to fix that in post-processing.

Mike: I like your comp and the lighting is marvelous. I’m OK with the brightness of the leaf as it leads directly to the butterfly. I agree with Jens that a polarizer might have helped but I often hesitate to use one when shooting butterflies and dragonflies because of the light loss. Overall a wonderful subject superbly captured and presented. >=))>

Mike, the BF is definitely in the spotlight. The leaf does lead to the BF, but for me I think the leaf is a bit too bright. A polarizer would have helped, but as @Bill_Fach mentioned, they cut down on the light. It is a fine image as is.

Hey, Mike. The butterfly is excellent with fine details. I will join the leaf-is-a-bit-bright-for-me crowd. I don’t have an answer for fixing it. Still, it’s a fine image.

Hi! The leaf is a little bright, however, you seem to have captured some texture in it. Its a gift from mother nature when you have that spot of sunlight, and then a butterfly happens upon it. Only thing i could think of would be to select just the bright part of the leaf and try to tone it down a little, but for me, I kind of like it how it is. Sometimes, you take the gift and do the best you can. Its a beautiful image.