Indian Summer Fritillary

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was just getting ready to leave the local arboretum today when this female Indian Fritillary came for a late afternoon bask on a ginko tree.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/200 f18 ISO 400

Highlights bar to soften the bright light. Cropping to balance butterfly and leaf.

Mike, at first I thought a bit more cropping would be nice. Then I saw the spots in the leaves to match the spots on the wings to balance it out. Nice shot.

1 Like

Mike, this is a fine look at this Fritillary. I agree with @SkipsPics about the leaf with the spots. It also mimics the shape of the BF, which is also a nice touch from nature. The bright leaves from the ginko tree make the darker BF stand out nicely. I’m not able to think of anything to improve the image. Nicely done. So glad she showed up before you left.

1 Like

I love this one, Mike, not just for the excellent image but because it makes me think about the evolution of butterflies from the amazing resemblance of the wing shape to the leaves of the Ginko-one of the earliest deciduous trees. No nits from me on this.

1 Like

Very nice!!! Wonderful sharpness, detail and color! The leaves in the LR are a bit bright – a gradual burn (or another highlight correction with a graduated mask) might work there.

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I’ve toned down the leaves in the original.

Mike: Beautiful specimen and a marvelous perch. Our Gulf Fritillaries are making a strong showing so butterfly season is still on. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like