Indian Fritillary

I came across this male Argyreus hyperbius today, drinking from a shallow stream while standing on stones in it. I liked the way it was lit, but then I always like this butterfly. Unusually the female is even more stunning. Right now they’re laying eggs on violets, including in the garden.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + Tamron 150-600mm @ 600mm f11 1/400 ISO 500

Cropped by 30%, Topaz Denoise and slight lowering of Highlights in PS.

2 Likes

Oh that sidelight works really well. I can see why you took the trouble. The even background of the rocks helps emphasize the pattern in the wings. Sometimes when butterflies are occupied with things other than flowers, they sit still long enough for us to get this kind of quality image. You might have a go with darkening some of the lighter parts of the rock, but that’s really subjective. :metal:

Hi, Mike. I really like this shot. The setting and the composition are outstanding. I might tone down the highlights just a bit, but that’s probably just me. Very nice as presented.

This is beautiful, Mike! Not just the butterfly but the way you captured it! Love the lighting and surroundings! Sounds like you’re going to be having a bunch of these butterflies flying around your place eventually with all the egg laying! Are they the same as most butterflies? Caterpillars first and then cocoons?

What a beauty, Mike! I don’t think I have ever seen this butterfly, nor one in a stream drinking water. What a find, and what a capture. I think the lighting was managed well. It appears to have been a little bright, but nothing seems blown out. The butterfly really stands out against the background.

Nicely done, Mike. Great detail in the butterfly and love the environment she has chosen for this portrait.

Mike, you’ve got excellent color and sharpness in this butterfly. It’s environment adds a nice feeling of coolness.

It is a real dandy Mike. Nice tight focus and lovely colors. Pretty unique to see a butterfly having a drink of water.

Mike: Like a lot of fritillaries the underwings are often more interesting than the tops. The color palette of the stream bed is especially nice. Great find and a fine capture. >=))>