Frolicking Fritillary

We have had close to a bazillion fritillaries on our passion vines this summer. This newly hatched little beauty landed on a nearby hibiscus and was kind enough to pose for a few shots. I’ve never noticed them nectaring on hibiscus but I did get a few profile shots with its proboscis extended. Maybe just taking a little taste. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77II
Sony 70-400 GII @ 360mm
ISO 400, 1/60 @ f11

4 Likes

Bill, you captured him nestled into the flower nicely. I haven’t had any of these in our garden this year, I don’t think.

What a wonderful pleasant capture, Bill. Great detail in both the butterfly and the flower. Love how the composition works with the diagonal lines of the green foliage in the corner and then the flower. Nicely done.

Hi Bill, really interesting image with the colors working so well together. Love the petals of the flower adding another level of interest with the butterfly. Fine details on the butterfly body and inner wings. Nice one!

Very nice capture with excellent colors. I could wish for a quick focus stack on an opportunity like this. Sometimes it works very well if you can do a quick manual focus override without moving the camera too much.

Great color and composition Bill. It has a 3D effect the way the butterfly landed and the curves of the flower. Nice one.