Cavorting

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G-II @ 250mm
ISO 800, 1/1250 @ f8
I generally come home for lunch every day and most of the time there are fritillaries cavorting around the lantana behind the garage. I’ve been trying to get a good shot of the underwings which I find more interesting than the wings spread top view. Caught this guy this afternoon and felt like it was the best of the bunch. I must have trashed 150 shots. Glad we still don’t use film! All comments welcome. >=))>

2 Likes

Great shot of what I think you call the underwings. I like the color and detail in both the flower and butterfly. The background really makes the subject stand out. Thank you for sharing.

Gorgeous one, Bill… :+1:t2:

Hi Bill, nice details throughout the butterfly. I also like the underwing of this species and find it a challenge not to blow out the whites in full sun - you did a nice job with that here still showing texture in the whites. A fine image.

Bill, sorry I am slow getting to this, but life has been more on the hectic side for the last day or so. Anyway, I would like to say this was worth coming home for lunch to capture. You managed the harsh very well, especially on the white of the butterfly. He is beautiful. I like it with the wings up too, and that made for a nice vertical shot. Yes, glad we aren’t still using film. You wouldn’t have taken as many shots, and might very well have missed getting this one. We are so blessed to be in the digital age. Great shot. :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

As the others have already stated, this is a beautiful capture, Bill. I have yet to see a fritillary. I also agree we are fortunate to be living in the age of digital photography and photo processing.

Beautiful Bill. I agree with you, I find the underneath side of the wings amazing with so much detail. The vertical composition is spot on for this guy. Gorgeous photo.