Fueling Up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Every year the gulf fritillaries are the last butterflies in the garden. Our pentas are about the only nectar source still available to them and over the past couple days the sun has been out and the temperatures high enough that a bunch of them are congregating. One of the benefits of the lower temperatures early in the day is that they will often open their wings to absorb the solar energy and stay motionless for some time. This little beauty held still for almost a minute and I was able to get progressively closer until I got to this point and almost filled the frame.

I used to hate using extension tubes on zoom lenses but the AF is so fast with my 70-200 that it’s become much less of a hassle. I still have, love and use the 200mm macro but with the 70-200 I don’t have to use a lens mount adapter and I get all the focusing benefits of the A7RIII. Technology is good!

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm, 16mm XT
ISO 1600, 1/2000 @ f8

2 Likes

Another fine butterfly shot, Bill. I would have been tempted to get the insect more square-on/symmetrical to get both wings in complete focus, but…the angle here is much more interesting as part of the three-part composition with flowers and leaves. Another matter (and it’s often a bone of contention) - I would “tidy up” the butterfly a bit, removing some of the white scratches and filling in the split in the Rt forewing. But others (probably the majority) would argue a) that it’s not what was there and b) the markings indicate how late it is in the season. I just like to rejuvenate bfs a bit if needed, like I’d clone out things in a landscape, for example. Just personal taste. Gulf Fritillaries are gorgeous.

Bill, this is a beauty. The mix of three colors is nicely dramatic and you’ve filled the frame well with the BF and the flowers. The minor caveat to your equipment choice is that your 200 macro is almost certainly sharper and higher magnifications (like this), but that difference would only be noticeable at 1:1 on a big monitor or in a large print.

What a beauty, Bill. I just love the colors of the BF and the flowers he is on. Nice details in both. I’m not sure what it is in the top left that looks blurred (maybe an oof leaf) and then a shadow on the leaf on the bottom right, both of which seems a bit bothersome to me. I am wondering about a vignette to call less attention to those areas. Just a thought. I would really love to point my camera at one of these right now, and to come away with just details in him too. Nicely done.

Excellent, Bill. You put the focal plane in just the right spot-I always love seeing antennae sharp as well as the eyes. The oof leaf in the upper left doesn’t really bother me.

Well done, Bill. I enjoy the color contrast in this photo with the subject, red flowers, and background. The sharpness of the main part of the subject came out very nice with the details.

Gorgeous, with nice room in the frame! Detail and colors are lovely. I could wonder about a tiny bit more shadow detail, but that’s purely artist’s choice. We have so much wonderful leeway these days with the newer equipment!