Autumn Delight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took a little break from reviewing my Oregon shots and chased this fritilary around the garden this morning. We often have a fair number of these beauties in October and November. I rarely see them nectaring on roses though so this was a special bonus. The BG was moderately messy so I used a pretty heavy handed vignette but I like how it turned out. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 197mm
ISO 1600, 1/800 @ f11 HH

Bill, this is a fine look at this BF. Very nice details. I don’t think I have ever seen one nectaring on a rose either. I think the vignette worked will with the BG issue.

Hi Bill,

Rose and butterfly go well together. I enjoyed all the sharpness and crisp color of the big version…Jim

Superb!! Focus, sharpness, color… you have it all, with a lovely subject! The BG treatment is perfect!

Sheer beauty, butterfly and rose, (even a bud). Our Indian Fritillaries sometimes bask on roses at this time of year, but I’ve never seen one nectaring on a rose. A lovely photo, Bill.

Wow this is so lovely - glad you did a little chasing. The butterfly is in such good shape for so late in the year. I don’t think we have these up here, so it’s nice to see a new species for me. Great angle to get as much of it’s glorious wings in focus and I think the OOF bg works well - just blurry enough, but still recognizable so we can fill in some context. The vignette is heavy, but it works pretty well to spotlight the suject. You could probably lighten it somewhat without ruining that.

Beautiful, Bill. While the vignette looks heavy after thinking about it,when I looked at the image without reading your commentary, I didn’t even notice it, which means it’s working well. Very nice depth of field and focus point.

Lovely. I’m struck by the colors and great detail in the butterfly. And the rose is a nice bonus.

Amazing capture. The colors on the flower and butterfly really worked well.