Backward Glance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another of our early bloomers are our Wedding Roses. I discovered these little beauties right outside our front door this morning and especially liked the way the dappled light coming through our still barren trees fell on them. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2xTC and 16mm XT
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f16

2 Likes

Truly lovely, @Bill_Fach. A wonderful reminder of spring to come on the horizon. I agree, the lighting is perfect. Also love how the diagonal leaves in the background act as leading lines into the composition. The soft feel adds to the gentle feeling of spring. Have to say, though, can’t decide about the dried leaf in the foreground. I like the curves and detail it provides, however, IMHO, it is a bit distracting. Having said that, I can’t image how to remove it?? Nicely seen and captured.

Linda: The dried leaf is actually the bud sheath that has peeled away as the flowers emerge. The easiest way for me to remove it would be to just pluck it off and I thought about doing just that but decided that was another aspect of the plant so I left it. Thanks so much for your kind comments. >=))>

Bill, I can almost smell this beauties. Who would have thought of photographing the back of them? I love that view. The strong lines pull my eye into the picture and make me part of it in a way that it wouldn’t be from the front. I don’t have a problem with the brown leaf. It gives a touch of realism to the scene. I do find that dark leaf on the left distracting. I wonder if it is because it is in sharper focus than the BG on the right.

After taking another look at this I decided to make the top of the leaf exiting the frame above the flower go away.

Barbara: That particular leaf is actually resting against the flower so it’s in the focal plane. Limitations of single capture I suppose. Thanks for your insights.

Yes, I could see it was trying to take over center stage. :blush:

The exiting leaf removal took this up a notch for sure. What a succulent looking plant - so fresh and perfect. Thanks for bringing me a little spring. It’s like our 3rd November here.