Opening Act

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was watering the garden yesterday morning and discovered this newly hatched Giant Swallowtail inflating its wings on our back fence. I asked if it would mind posing on the milkweed and he/she was happy to oblige. Got to set up the tripod and popped off a bunch of shots. Thought this was the best one. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 OSS GM II, 2x TC and 10mm XT @ 230mm
ISO 1600, 1/40 @ f16

2 Likes

Bill, he/she is pristine. Wonderful details and colors in the BF. I really like her pose. I am wondering if you cropped just a bit off the bottom or add some room at the top if you did crop if it would give it the feel that she has more room to move? Just a thought. I would be thrilled to have a shot like this of a Giant Swallowtail. You sure got rewarded for watering the garden.

Woah! :roll_eyes: I’m humbled to know a true BF Whisperer! :laughing:

This really is stunningly gorgeous! The detail and perspective are wonderful!
The focus is great, yet it has a softness that is elegant and artistic in my view! :slight_smile:

Very well done, Bill! :slight_smile:

Wow a real beauty Bill! This is a species I always want to see but never seem to be able to photograph. Colors and detail are great. Love the full view of the abdomen and underwing as well. Agree with Shirley’s cropping suggestion. Well done!

Wow – gorgeous detail of a perfect specimen! It’s wonderful that you were able to persuade her to pose!

I think a bit more room on the sides could be good. Might take some artistic cloning/blurring if there were distracting elements but worth a try if you have more in the original frame.

Another wow from me, Bill. What a fabulous specimen just making its way into the world. What a thing to have seen. The crop is a tad tight, but the butterfly is so wonderful that doesn’t matter.

I agree it could have a bit more space to L and R, but that’s really a quibble. I love the colorful lantana waiting in the BG too, where the new hatchling can feed. Ace shot, Bill.