Great Spangled Fritillary

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Female lays eggs near, but not on, violets in late summer. If you maintain patches of native violets on your property and leave the leaf litter and wood chips as shelter for the caterpillars, chances are that you will raise the next generation of Great Spangled Fritillaries. (New Jersey Butterflies) Adults nectar on a variety of wildflowers, including this Tall Ironweed.

Specific Feedback

No

Technical Details

fritillary

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise applied mainly for sharpening

1 Like

Terry, you really got some wonderful details in the BF. He/she is beautiful. That white oof spot right behind him is a bit of a distraction, so maybe you can remove/darken it a bit. I think maybe the oof flowers on the left side and the bright top left corner is also grabbing for attention. There is also two little specks of probably flowers right at the bottom border that you could remove/crop out if you do decide on doing further editing. You got such great details in the BF throughout, and the flower is a nice perch, this is worth doing what you can to improve this shot, in my humble opinion.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I can easily make adjustments on the left side of the frame, but I’m not sure about that spot behind the butterfly. I already adjusted the brightness down quite a bit; I don’t know if I can go more, or not. I’ll have to play with it.

1 Like

Very nice, but the BG competes with the subject. I think you could crop like this. (And I lowered sat on the leaves in the corner.)

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller. That’s certainly one way to go.