Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia)

Most butterflies can be difficult to approach, but the Variegated Fritillary has a reputation as being particularly so. In fact, because of this, its Genus name, Euptoieta, was taken from the Greek word euptoietos meaning “easily scared”. This one is feeding on one of it’s favorite flowers, Ironweed. Next to this, I have planted Passion Flower Vine (pictured below), the host plant for this butterfly’s caterpillars. She made frequent trips to to the vine - hopefully to deposit eggs. Hoping to see some caterpillars, eventually.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 200mm, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Hi Terry, Great color, detail, setting, and background with your butterfly. I had one of these in my garden and could not get near enough for a photo. Thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous, Terry, love the colors and the detail. Can’t wait to see your images of the caterpillars.

Just beautiful, Terry. I love how the pretty flowers are framing the beautiful butterfly in nicely. If you were to crop ever so little off the right side and top to eliminate the tips of some leaves feeding in/out of the frame, I think that would improve this lovely image even more. Excellent details and colors, with a wonderfully smooth BG.

Thanks @Brian_Murphy. They are certainly not easy to capture. I took maybe 50 frames before finding one with which I was “happy”.

Thanks @linda_mellor. I appreciate your comments.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I’ll take a look at the crop.

Woah, the markings are really something. Gorgeous light, too. I think you’ve included the right amount of the plant - the whole sweeping arc of the flowers and leaves. What I would do is to clone out or tone down the bright bit of stem at the top margin and the tiny bit of leaf intruding into the frame on the right. I think there’s another bit of something just under it as well - possibly two somethings. Great detail and contrasting colors. Such a smooth background makes us pay attention. Super.

Thanks @Kris_Smith. I can spend a little time cleaning up those spots.

Love the colors and the detail in the butterfly. I like how the butterfly is framed by the flowers. The color of the background works well with the butterfly. Great shot.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting @Allen_Brooks.

1 Like

Hi Terry,

You nailed this one. Including 99% of the iron weed strengthens the comp with the placement of the butterfly on the RH side. Details present on the wings are nice and sharp too. Awesome photo…Jim

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting.

I agree with all the positive comments, Terry. Saw this species when I visited NC some time back, but couldn’t get a good shot of it. Great that you have its (beautiful) larval host plant close by - you may find eggs soon, which will help you in your study. This butterfly is in great condition, and you’ve done it proud!

1 Like