Variegated Fritillary - Another View

I posted an earlier view of this butterfly nectaring on Ironweed, but she was too pretty not to post another view of her.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise

1 Like

She is beautiful and so is this image! You are showcasing her even better in this shot. She contrasts beautifully with the flowers, leaves and background. Good detail and lighting too. Well done!

She is pretty! And I like the head-down aspect of this, it ups the intensity in some way. Like she’s dive bombing the flowers in her hunger. I would be tempted to crop to a more 4:5 aspect ratio and see how that looks. Not sure if I’d like the leaf on the left cut off, but it might be worth a toggle. The variations in the oranges is really apparent here. Such perfect wings!

Gorgeous, Terry. I agree with @Kris_Smith about the intensity of the head down composition, really makes me want to turn it around so I don’t get so dizzy! Very nicely done.

Thanks @Steve_Kennedy. You know how it goes. Sometimes (rarely) everything falls into place to get a really good shot.

Thanks @Kris_Smith. I played with the crop quite a bit before I settled on this. Just my personal taste, of course. Others may prefer something different. Glad you like the orientation of the bf. I wasn’t sure anyone but me would like it.

Thanks @linda_mellor. Don’t look at it too long and lose your orientation!

Hi Terry, nice colors and what a gorgeous pattern on the butterfly! This composition works for me with the open wings and lower flowers that the butterfly is facing.

1 Like

Terry, I like this view of this butterfly (and the ironweed) better that your previous post as the bf standsout more strongly. Here in Maryland, these are often a late summer migrant from further south. Their species name comes from Greek for “easily scared”… :laughing:

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I was aware of the meaning of the species name, but it sure didn’t apply to this particular specimen! She only changed position a couple of times, and remained motionless for long periods of time. Apparently, she was really hungry!

Terry, she is sure a beautiful butterfly. Her colors stand out nicely and contrast well with the flowers she is enjoying. The upside-down look is nice too.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I was fortunate to have such a patient and relatively sedentary specimen!

1 Like